How can I connect Windows XP to multiple networks, Wi-Fi for internet, and another for file sharing?

On windows XP I need to connect to two different networks. One wifi connection for internet and other one for file sharing.

Different gateways, different static address, same subnet mask. But it gives problem when run simultaneously and needs

one network to be disabled. Is there any way to make them run simultaneously?

original title: Tweo different networks simultaneously on windows xp

Question Info

Last updated November 25, 2019 Views 3,832 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Go to where you have set up the static IP addresses for your network adapters.  Leave the "Default Gateway" blank for your local file sharing adapter and insert a valid Default Gateway for your wifi adapter to the internet.  This will, of course, limit your local file sharing adapter to a single subnet -- which should be OK for home or small office use.

This should work so long as the two physical subnets have two different subnet numbers. Generally this means that the first three numbers of the adapter's IP address cannot the same on both adapters --  if they are, then you need to make one of the subnets different. (i.e. one is 192.168.1.xxx  and the other would be 192.168.2.xxx).  This is typically accomplished in a Router's configuration page.

HTH,
  JW

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.