Getting error "There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network." on XP computer

"There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network." I keep getting these messages on my computer. What does this mean and how do I resolve this?

Question Info

Last updated November 3, 2018 Views 52,272 Applies to:
Answer
IP addresses are assigned to a computer in one of two basic ways:  either the address is assigned automatically by the device "in charge" of the network (in your case, the wifi hotspot's router) or the address is set manually in the computer.

If the address is assigned automatically, the router is "smart" enough to assign a different address to everyone.  On the other hand, if your computer has a fixed or "static" IP address that was assigned manually, it may conflict with an address assigned by the router to another computer.

You didn't specify, so I'm going to assume that your computer is running WIndows XP.....

1. On your computer, open Network Connections (Start > Run > ncpa.cpl > OK)
  2. Right-click on the icon for your wireless adapter and select Properties
  3. Click on the "General" tab, select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" in the list of "This connection uses the following items," and click "Properties"
  4. Select the two radio buttons to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically"
  5. OK your way out.
This will not adversely affect your computer in any way.

If the two "automatic" settings were already selected, it is likely that your wireless adapter is being managed by a utility provided by the manufacturer of your computer or wifi adapter rather than by Windows.  There should be a wifi icon in the system notification area (near the time display).  Click or right-click on it and see if you can get to its configuration settings menu or at least determine whose utility it is.

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.