Question

Q: Error: unable to contact ip driver, error code 2 not able to connect to internet.

Original Title: unable to contact ip driver, error code 2.

Using XP Pro SP3 with MSE, I obtained, perhaps, AV Protection 2011 virus. After cleaning, I could not connect to the internet... the Internet Access icon showed I was connected, but I was unable to connect to any site. On booting, I received error Spampal is unable to use port 110, and this I resolved by uninstalling Spampal. Following that, I now receive "unable to contact ip driver, error code 2". Device Manager shows no errors.

I've done the winsock resets.

IPCONFIG /ALL reports ~ An internal error occurred: The request is not supported.
Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.
Additional information: Unable to query host name.

Are there instructions for resolving the IP problem(s) or must I do a system recovery?

I thought that MicroSoft provides no cost virus recovery support. Would that include support for this problem?

Follow-up.... I found good suggestions that I'll try from Jack MVP and Molly Mae found at related link ~ Thanks

Lost connection to wireless internet, don't seem to have an ip address now, help needed!!!

Answer

A:

Error code 2 is DOS speak for "file not found".

If you are seeing this:

Windows IP Configuration

An internal error occurred: The request is not supported.

Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.

Additional information: Unable to query host name.

Take a look in the c:\windows\system32\drivers folder for this file (assuming XP is installed on your C drive):

tcpip.sys

If the file is missing, you must replace it.

We know that XP likes to keep backup copies of critical system files in this folder:

c:\windows\system32\dllcache

Look there for a backup copy of the tcpip.sys file and copy/paste it into the c:\windows\system32\drivers folder where it belongs.

If you don't see a copy in the dllcache folder, look for a copy here:

c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

If you don't see it there, you can download one from my SkyDrive and sneakernet it over to the afflicted system on a USB thumb drive, or floppy.

I uploaded a copy of the XP Pro SP3 file you need to my SkyDrive (everybody has a SkyDrive for sharing files).

You can download it and when you do, put a copy of the file in these two folders (assuming Windows is installed on your C drive):

c:\windows\system32
c:\windows\system32\dllcache    (that is where XP keeps backup copies of important files).

Here is the link to my SkyDrive and you can look for the file you need there:

http://cid-6a7e789cab1d6f39.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=6A7E789CAB1D6F39!311

When you see the files available for download, you may not see the file extension (.exe, .dll, .cpl, .sys, .zip, etc.), but when you download them they will have the correct extension.

When you download the file (especially if you use Internet Explorer), when you get a chance to save the file, your browser may not save the file with an extension (like .exe, .dll, .cpl, .sys, .zip, etc.) so you will have to manually add the proper extension to the file when you download the file before you save it.

You can download the file with no extension and then rename the file to add the proper extension.  You don't want to try to use a file called tcpip when the file name really needs to be called tcpip.sys (if the downloaded file has no extension you will have to change the name of the file to add the proper extension to get it to work.

You then need to put the downloaded files in the correct folders on your system.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 16,875 Last updated: July 1, 2018 Applies to: