Question

Q: Error: Remote Desktop Connection cannot be installed because your operating system already has a built-in version.

I tried to use Remote Desktop to connect to my work PC from my home PC (both Windows XP SP3).  I got the following pop-up:  "The pre-release version of Remote Desktop Connection has expired.  To download the full version of Remote Desktop Connection, go to Windows Update or contact your system administrator.”  I went to Windows Update and downloaded the full version but when I tried to install it, I got the following:  "Error: Remote Desktop Connection cannot be installed because your operating system already has a built-in version."  I don’t see Remote Desktop Connection as a stand-alone program to uninstall (via Add and Remove Programs on the Control Panel).  When I select Windows Components, I get Accessories with two options under that, neither of which is Remote Desktop Connection.  How can I get Remote Desktop Connection to work?

Answer

A:

Hi,

a) You may follow this link and check if the issue persists.

Remote Desktop Connection has expired?

b) Thereafter, try to configure remote desktop connection on your computer and check if it works.

How to use the Remote Desktop feature of Windows XP Professional

Hope the information helps. Please post back and let us know.

Regards
Debleena S
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,697 Last updated: March 26, 2018 Applies to: