Question

Q: DHCP client won't start due to dependency

Suddenly my IBM T61 Windows XP Pro sp3 laptop will no longer connect to my Belkin router, either wired or wireless. This began after I allowed a series of Windows Updates to occur. Using ipconfig and other signs it appears that the DHCP process no longer occurs. Looking in the Device Manager Non-Plug-and-Play I could see that there was a yellow flag next to 'netBT' which is a dependency for a number of services like DHCP. Windows suggested I uninstall then reinstall the 'driver' netBT.sys. Well, it uninstalled OK but now it is off the list and without it loaded I am cut off from the network (I have a second Vista Home laptop that I am using to prowl for tech ideas). I moved a copy of netBT.sys from the Service pack 3 i386 folder into system32\drivers to replace the old one, just in case.
How to I get netBT to load and function again? I have spent many hours rebooting, enabling and disabling, and anything else that I could think of or find on Tech Boards.

Answer

A:

SOLVED. Corrupted NetBT registry entry. HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\NetBT
After many hours of detective work I found the clue in the Events log through MSCONFIG. Error type 7001 means service failed to start because of a dependency (I knew that), but it went on to say "dir name or path syntax not correct". I went into the registry and used exactly the same path syntax as specified in NetBIOS "system32\DRIVERS\netBT.sys" and DHCP service started.

Jim in Arizona

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 75,596 Last updated: May 18, 2018 Applies to: