Question

Q: Can't delete inbox files in outlook express

I have been having issues with Outlook Express 6.0 for a couple of minths now.  I can't delete messages from my Inbox and I can't drag the ones I want to save to other folders.  It is also extremely slow to open now.

Any ideas what I can do to get this back to the way it use dto work?

I have no idea what has happened to cause this problem.

Answer

A:

This may be difficult if you have Inbox messages you want to save, so we'll start with what is safe.

Create a new Deleted Items folder with no messages in it you want to save.

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of your Outlook Express files. Write the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer or, copy and paste it into Start | Run.

In WinXP, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.

With OE closed, find the DBX file for Deleted Items and delete it.  A new one will be created automatically when you open OE.

Close OE, reboot and see if you can move Inbox messages into a user created folder. Post back. There is much more to do.

===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====
☞ Avoid a post. Backup your data. ☜

Bruce Hagen
MVP: 2004 ~ 2010
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 11,917 Last updated: June 8, 2018 Applies to: