Cannot connect to the Internet after running COMBOFIX

Running XP.  After running ComboFix to remove "rootkit" virus" which wiped out AVG and some windows updates, I got back online and downloaded AVG Free 2012 and updated windows.  Everything seemed fine and I shutdown the computer for the nite.  Next morning...cannot get online!  When I try to connect it says its "Aquiring Network Address"..... Help!

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 3,082 Applies to:
Answer
I located the DHCP client.  It was not "STARTED".  I got it started and rebooted.  I then went to the cmd prompt and attempted to reset the TCP/IP stack.  It would not take the command that the Windows help page suggested.....netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt  I would enter this command, hit enter and it would immediately return for the next command prompt (with no info)?????  I typed in ipconfig /all and under Windows IP Configuration it says............................ IP Routing Enabled....................No.  Next to WINS Proxy Enabled..................No.   I then typed in ipconfig /renew   It said No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its Media Disconnected.   It said the same for Local Area Connection???????????  What Next!!??

1.  Did you reinstall the latest driver for your network adapter?

2.  Did you seek guided help in one of the specialty malware-removal forums I recommended?

3.  When you run "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt" in a Command Prompt window, nothing is shown at the command prompt.  The TCP/IP stack is reset and the log of what is done is written to the specified file.  Did you look in the file created at C:\resetlog.txt?  If so, what did it say?

4.  Have you looked in Device Manager (Start > Run > devmgmt.msc > OK) to see if there is any error indicated for your network adapter?  If you see the error icon, double click on the adapter's entry and report what is shown under "Device status".

5.  The snippet of the output from ipconfig /all that you provided is normal.  Please provide the complete results of ipconfig /all.  Right-click in the Command Prompt window for the "Select All" command and then pres Enter to copy the selected data so you can paste it into your response.
-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.