Windows XP Scanner Settings

Hi!

I am using Windows XP Prof with SP 3.

I have a CanoScan Lide 30 scanner and I have been using PhotoStudio to scan images but I want to use Windows XP's scanner software.

When I go to 'Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and click Scanners and Cameras,' it lists the Scanner software and the webcam software so they are both installed. However, when I go into the 'Scanner and Camera Wizard' and click 'Next' to begin a scan, it automatically opens my Logitech webcam software instead of allowing me to choose between the two software options.

What setting(s) need to be changed?

Thanks in advance.

The wizard needs a WIA driver. Check with the device manufacturer;s web site to see if there is one. 

Or you can use an app that supports TWAIN to scan. Usually scanner ships with such software. There are many other free photo software that support TWAIN.

MSMVP VC++

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

That is strange then because the WIA driver and TWAIN driver were both installed during the initial setup so I do not know why Windows XP is not recognizing them.

Since both drivers are already installed but obviously not being recognized, do I have to uninstall and re-install the software and re-install the WIA and TWAIN drivers so that XP will recognize them?

I have been using PhotoStudio and most documents that are emailed to me/downloaded print clearly but a few documents come out faded. I know that the issue is not the ink level, printer settings, or PhotoStudio settings because other documents are scanned and print clearly so I have no idea what the issue is.

I just thought if I used the Windows Wizard scanner instead, the document might print more clearly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

reinstalling would be unlikely to work (unless the installation is messed up and needs to be repaired) .

There is only one device driver not two. The driver's author decides whether to write code to support WIA or TWAIN, or both, or none. A Microsoft certified driver requires WIA for XP but most likely you won't get a WHQL driver from a CD. 

Try the software that comes with the scanner or other photo software that supports both WIA and TWAIN. 

WIA is an imaging acquiring interface, it has nothing to do with printing.

MSMVP VC++

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here's what I can tell you:

When I installed the software for the CanoScan Lide 30, I had to install cstbwin.exe and deldrcv.exe.exe which were both included with the software.

I also had to go to the Canon website and download and install WIADriver.exe and lide20lide.exe so I assumed that I had to install both WIA and TWAIN, which are both still installed so that still does not explain why Windows Wizard will not recognize them even though they are both listed under 'Scanners and Cameras.'

This is issue 1.

Issue 2: I have been using PhotoStudio and most documents that are emailed to me/downloaded print clearly but a few documents come out faded. I know that the issue is not the ink level, printer settings, or PhotoStudio settings because other documents are scanned and print clearly so I have no idea what the issue is.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

issue 1: use another WIA software to acquire image. If another software can see the scanner via WIA, then you need to check your windows installation, otherwise you need to talk to Canon. However, most software support both WIA and TWAIN at the same time. You need to make sure you are getting the WIA interface. You call which interface is using as the WIA scanner interface is provided by windows whereas the TWAIN scanner interface is provided by drivers.

Issue 2: talk to the sender of the documents and see if they have the same issue printing those documents.

MSMVP VC++

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The only reason that I wanted to use the Windows Wizard is because I thought that the unclear printed document would print clearer in Windows Wizard but since this and printing scanned documents are unrelated, I will not bother.

However, the original document that printed lightly using PhotoStudio was a hard copy given to me that I scanned. Documents emailed to me and 'some' hard-copy documents that I scan are printed clearly but sometimes they print very light so at least I know that the issue is not the ink level, printer settings, or PhotoStudio settings but I do not know what the issue is.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 9, 2021 Views 991 Applies to: