Windows XP Print Spooler Error Code 1068

I have a print spooler error code 1068.
The fault has just occurred today 28/04/2012
I have been using a Canon MP240 printer for the past 4 years.
The print Spooler is set to automatic.
I have followed the instructions given and I have the following error messages
The Dependency Service or Group Failed to Start.
This message is shown in LexBceS & Fax
I am using Microsoft Windows XP,
Home Edition,
Version 2002,
Service Pack 3
Answer
Answer
As I wrote when you posted this identical question at the end of an outdated thread --

I really don't know what "instructions given" you may have followed.  There are a lot of "instructions" in the old thread.

It's also important to give the complete text of any error messages rather than paraphrasing as you have done.

All I do know is that you have a Canon MP240 printer that is not working because the Print Spooler isn't running.  And the reason that the print spooler isn't running is most likely because you at one time had a Lexmark printer (or a Dell badged Lexmark printer) and and that printer was improperly uninstalled.

I don't know if your Canon printer ever worked and if it did, what happened just before it stopped working.

You might have noted that I asked several questions of the person who originally asked a question back last November.  You might have answered them yourself in order to save time.

Please provide the complete error message.

Do you now or did you ever have a Lexmark or Dell-badged Lexmark printer installed?

What happened just prior to the printer ceasing to work?

And what version of Windows is installed, including service pack? [You did answer this one; thanks.]

I also don't know if you have a fax modem with which you want to use Windows XP fax services.  I ask this question because when you paraphrased the error message you received, you mentioned "Fax." 

Normally, the Fax service depends on the Print Spooler service, rather than vice versa.  If the Print Spooler service fails to start, then the Fax service will also fail to start, so I expect that you might have seen two separate error messages. .... But I'm just guessing.

To save time -- and with the caveat that this is based on guessing the answers that you have not yet provided -- the following will probably restore your printing capability.  You WILL need to do the "Special Procedure for computers that have or had a Lexmark or Dell-badged Lexmark printer" before you start Step A.

Often, but not always, the symptoms you described are caused by a corrupt print job stuck in the queue or a corrupt printer driver.  However before cleaning things up, on general principles you might want to download, install, update, and run full scans with each of these two free programs:

MalwareBytes AntiMailware
SUPERAntiSpyware

Don't run both scans simultaneously.  Each will take some time, so start it and then go do something else for a while.

Clean up printers

NOTE:  If after completing step A the print spooler still does not stay running after you have issued the "net start spooler" command, you will not be able to follow all of the steps in "Article One."  Use the Special Procedure for Lexmark printers described below and then follow Article One.  If still no joy, use the alternative method linked below.

A.  Clean out the pending print jobs

• Open a Command Prompt window (Start > Run > cmd > OK)
  • Type the following in the black Command Prompt window and press Enter after each line

net stop spooler
                           del /Q "%windir%\system32\spool\PRINTERS\*.*"
                           net start spooler
                           exit

B.  Clean out the old printer drivers and install the latest drivers using the directions in Article One

Special Procedure for computers that have or had a Lexmark or Dell-badged Lexmark printer.

Open a Command Prompt window (Start > Run > cmd > OK)

Type the following in the black Command Prompt window and press Enter

sc config spooler depend= RPCSS
      exit

note that there is no space before the =

If you want to use a Lexmark or Dell-badged Lexmark printer after doing the above, you'll have to reinstall it.

Alternative to Article One's method: http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 942 Applies to: