windows XP installing USB Keyboard. hidusb.sys is not found

I am running Win XP Pro SP3.  Last installed with slipstreamed SP2.  Trying to install a Logitech MK320 wireless keyboard and mouse.  They use a USB HID Receiver.  Inserting the receiver causes Windows Found New Hardware which errors installing the drivers with the message "the data is invalild".

Followed instructions to make setupapi.log verbose. Renamed it. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841567

I find the first error message to be

@ 22:10:56.015 #V180 Verifying file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\hidusb.sys" (key "hidusb.sys") against catalog "" failed. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

Verified that this file is in Driver Cache\i386\Driver.cab.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810882

What do I need to do to get windows XP SP3 to extract the file and put it in System32\Drivers folder?  Or may I manually extract and  just put it there?

Note I am upgrading from a PS2 Keyboard and Mouse and have never used a USB Keyboard nor mouse.  Plugging in a USB Mouse gives me the same error message.

I have tried to update all of my USB drivers.  Windows Device Manager states that they are the newest available though online the correct versions are later.  These versions match the versions in the Drivers.cab file.  I found one place to download a newer set but it won't run under SP3.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 10,269 Applies to:

Most pc boards do not have specific "USB drivers",the software/drivers are installed by

installing the "chip set installation utility"...These are available from the boards chip mfg (intel,

amd,etc)...

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

My usb drivers are more up to date than I thought.  They are all from sp2.  Now I need to figure out how to start hid stuff.   There is no current hid keyboard or mouse.  A system at work, winxp sp3, with a usb keyboard, and a usb mouse, installed the hid receiver and the wireless keyboard and mouse work fine.  My system at home with a ps2 keyboard and a ps2 mouse will not correctly install a usb keyboard, a usb mouse, nor the usb receiver for a wireless keyboard and mouse.  All three devices end with the same error message.  Data Invalid.
An Operating System should not interrupt the user; nor require updates, antivirus, or firewalls.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm still having trouble trying to install a usb wireless keyboard and mouse on a system that has been using a ps2 wireless keyboard and mouse.  Installing the usb wireless device results in an error message.  Data Invalid.

Updated the bios for the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard and still doesn't work.  There was an earlier version that "fixed" a legacy usb keyboard setup issue.  Note that previously setting usb legacy keyboard in the bios enables the new usb keyboard to setup the bios.  Just WinXP drivers won't load so I can't use thim with WinXP.  And everyone only sells usb wireless keyboards anymore...  Tried administrator account, and my account with admin priveledges.  Still get these errors in setupapi.log;

@ 22:55:46.031 #V286 Verification using alternate platform (Platform = 2, High Version = 5.1, Low Version = 5.0).
@ 22:55:46.046 #V180 Verifying file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\hidusb.sys" (key "hidusb.sys") against catalog "" failed. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
@ 22:55:46.078 #V286 Verification using alternate platform (Platform = 2, High Version = 5.1, Low Version = 5.0).
@ 22:55:46.156 #V132 File "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\hidclass.sys" (key "hidclass.sys") is signed in catalog "C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\nt5.cat".

then

@ 22:55:46.421 #T182 Install Files: Verifying catalogs/INFs completed.
@ 22:55:46.468 #I167 SPFILENOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA: Tag = "sp3.cab", Description= "windows driver cabinet", SourcePath = "C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386", SourceFile = "hidusb.sys", Flags = 0x00000000.
@ 22:55:46.500 #V168 SPFILENOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA: skipped callback.
@ 22:55:46.593 #W187 Install failed, attempting to restore original files.
@ 22:55:46.625 #T224 Install Device: Cleaning up failed device.
@ 22:55:46.656 #E122 Device install failed. Error 13: The data is invalid.
@ 22:55:46.671 #T201 Install Device: End.
@ 22:55:46.687 #E157 Default installer failed. Error 13: The data is invalid.
[2011/08/10 22:56:02 2616.3]

I don't know what else to try or how to manually install hid_usb.sys.  Logitech does not send drivers with their keyboards and mice.  They state that the OS should work.

An Operating System should not interrupt the user; nor require updates, antivirus, or firewalls.

Sorry this didn't help.

Please answer all of the following diagnostic questions by number in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

1a. Are you still getting the "hidusb.sys is not found" errors?

1b. Are you still getting "not a valid Win32 application" errors?

2. When did you last install slipstreamed WinXP SP2?

3. When (approx. date) did you last install SP3 and did you install it manually or via Windows Update?

4. What is the full name of your installed anti-virus application or security suite and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

5. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on this computer since the last install of slipstreamed WinXP SP2?

6. Assuming you used the OEM disc that came with the computer-in-question to create the WinXP SP2 slipstream, did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

7. Open Add/Remove Programs & make sure the Show Updates box at the top is checked. Now scroll down & tell me if ALL of the following updates are listed?

• KB2559049, KB2567680; KB2555917; KB2544521, KB2544893, KB2476490; KB2393802 & KB971029

Most will be displayed as "Security Update for Windows XP" followed by the KB number in parentheses.

If IE8 is installed, two will be displayed as "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8" followed by the KB number in parentheses.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

An error 2 is DOS speak for file not found.

A "hid" means Human Interface Device (like a mouse).

I don't know what all those other messages mean, but if you are missing hidusb.sys, you can download one.

The hidusb.sys file should be in the following folders (assuming XP in installed on your C drive):

c:\windows\system32\drivers
c:\windows\system32\dllcache  (that is where XP keep backup copies of important files)

I uploaded a copy of the XP Pro SP3 file you need to my SkyDrive (everybody has a SkyDrive for sharing files).

You can download it and when you do, put a copy of the file in these two folders (assuming Windows is installed on your C drive):

c:\windows\system32\drivers
c:\windows\system32\dllcache    (that is where XP keeps backup copies of important files).

Here is the link to my SkyDrive and you can look for the file you need there:

http://cid-6a7e789cab1d6f39.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=6A7E789CAB1D6F39!311

When you see the files available for download, you may not see the file extension (.exe, .dll, .cpl, .sys, etc.), but when you download them they will have the correct extension.

You need to put the downloaded files in the correct folders on your system.

That may not solve all your issues, but you will at least be past that part and then we can fix the rest.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I'm still geting hidusb.sys not found...

did a clean install with Win XP and slipstreamed SP2 about 4 years ago when I updated the hard drives to raid 0.

I've recently updated the bios for the ASUS A7n8X deluxe motherboard.  Their site states that earlier versions "fixed" a large file transfer problem for WinXP with Raid0.  Another updated "fixed" driver install errors for usb keyboards and mice.  I still have a problem after this update.  SP3 download now runs.  I get the same errors trying to install the usb wireless keyboard and mouse, or a usb keyboard.

SP3 was an automatic update.  Don't know when and do not remember if this was a one time update or many small ones.  In Ad/Remove it shows SP3 Version 20080414.031525.

I'm curently using Microsoft Security Essentials with Microsoft Firewall.

I have a purchased copy of Win XP when I built my system to which I slipstreames SP2 when I updated the hard drives.  I never used Norton or MacAfee after the update.  Just AVG and Avast.  Now Microsoft...

All updates you mentioned were installed.

KB2559049 on 8/11/2011
KB2544521 on 8/11/2011
KB2393802 on 2/22/2011
KB971029 on 3/20/2011
KB2544893 on 8/11/2011
KB2555917 on 8/11/2011
KB2567680 on 8/11/2011
KB2476490 on 8/11/201

I use IE7.  Mostly I use firefox and never use IE unless I'm on MS site.

Sorry this didn't help.