Windows XP install drivers for usb flash drives everytime I plug one in

I have Windows XP Professional in a printing business, I plug pen drives all day long from different people. Recently it started to show the hardware installation wizard everytime I plug a drive, even if I plug one that I have already plugged before. But the wizard doesn't just show to install the pen drive, it shows up 3 times; one for the "generic volume" driver; then for the "massive storage" driver and then for the driver model. But it doesn't stop there, it also shows the warning for unsigned driver for each of them.

lately I found that I don't need to go through the 3 wizards, the generic volume one is enough to acess the drive. I can live with that, but it's not normal and is very annoyng too. I would also love to try reinstalling the OS, but that would mean a long time installing dozens of programs and reconfiguring drivers for several printers, and that would be a big money lost.

P.s.: The computer has a nForce 610 chipset

Hi Beelz,

Check to see if the following helps.

Method 1: Let`s check if the following article helps.

Why doesn't my computer detect my new USB device when I'm running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003?

Method 2: Try to uninstall the USB Controllers. To do so, follow these steps.

a.        Click Start. Right click “My Computer” and select Manage.

b.       Select Device Manager. Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section.

c.        Uninstall each of the devices under the USB Controller section by right-clicking on each one, and then clicking Uninstall.

d.       Close the Device Manager and restart your computer. Windows will automatically re-install the USB controllers in your computer, without you having to do anything further. Your computer should now run USB devices properly.

Also check out this thread which has a similar issue discussed.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/found-new-hardware-wizard/970f411a-7848-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

No luck, neither the Microsoft FixIt or uninstalling the usb controller drivers worked. But I found something doing the last one; it revealed that my Win XP doesn't trust ANY system driver. It showed the hardware installation wizard about 6 times and warned me that I was installin drivers that didn't passed the windows logo stuff.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 11, 2020 Views 4,742 Applies to: