Windows XP cannot print to Windows 7 shared printer

I recently upgraded my Windows XP computer to Windows 7.  This computer was acting as a print server for 4 other computers in the house, all of them XP sp3.  However, now that I've upgraded the print server to Win7 and installed the 64-bit drivers, none of the XP computers can print to the printer (Canon i850). 

The problem seems to be that the Windows 7 machine has installed 64-bit drivers in order to print to the printer, and these are unusable by the Windows XP machines.  On the Win7 computer, I attempt to also install the x86 drivers (under the Printer Properties -> Sharing tab) so that the 32-bit Windows XP machines can print, but of course the Win7 machine won't let me because it's not a 32-bit OS.  I was hoping that if I pointed my WinXP machines to the printer itself over the network, they would automatically install the print drivers required but no dice.  I've already tried to manually install the 32-bit drivers on the WinXP machines directly, and it gives me an error.  I simply can't believe I'm the only one facing this issue (Win7 machine acting as a print server on a work group with WinXP machines), yet I cannot seem to find a resolution to this problem.

Thanks!

Answer
Answer

The print driver names must match.  You will need to find a 64bit driver that uses the same name as the 32bit XP driver or install the Windows 7 32bit driver onto the x64 machine.  You will need the 32bit ntprint files from Windows 7 since the files are not included in flat file format on the 32bit DVD. 

If the driver names do match then it is possible that coork has a better solution.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
Formerly with Windows print team

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 16, 2020 Views 24,562 Applies to: