usb port does not recognize a flash drive

I use Windows XP SP3 with updated files with 1.60HMz Intel Pentium M and 2G RAM

When I insert a USB flash drive in the USB port, it seems to be recognized as "Safely Remove Hardware" icon appears in the taskbar, but the drive is NOT seen in Windows Explorer. If I click on this icon to remove the drive, it does so and the icon disappears.

At the same-time, in one of the three builtin USB ports, I have a powered USB hub with a USB mouse doggle that is fully functional. If I insert a USB flash drive in this hub, it also brings up the same icon, but no reference in Windows Explorer.

The same is true for an external DVD/CD drive burner plugged in one of the 8 other USB ports (alongside the mouse doggle) in this hub. Also when this DVD drive does not show in Windows Explorer, it DOES show in Device Manager alongside the builtin DVD/CD drives (with its own specific specs). The builtin DVD/CD drive shows-up and displays the DVD contents in Windows Explorer.

Now if I reboot with the flash drive in the USB port, it shows in Windows Explorer. I can see inside the drive and also can move files in and out.

In an effort to correct, I uninstalled each drive in the USB Serial Bus Controllers and then rebooted in the hope that the default drivers to the USB ports would reload. No dice. I have also tried Norton AntiVirus, MS Fixit and defrag. drive, but to no avail.

In a previous "Ask a Question", I received two responses, but each seemed a lengthy cut & paste text solution, without specifically mentioning a tackle or resolve.

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft community where you can find all the answers related to windows.

As per the description provided, it looks like you are having issues with Flash drive not recognized by USB(Universal Serial Bus)

Perform steps from the link and check.

Advanced troubleshooting tips for general USB problems in Windows XP

Reply to us if you face any issues with Flash drive  or any other Windows Issue, and I would be glad to assist you.

Have a nice day!

Hope this information helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Jessen P

Thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy question. With a previously submitted similar question when I did not provide the extent of explanation in the question as I've done with this, I received the same link and followed as was instructed. Being that did not help, is why I went into depth with my particulars this time.

If you have any other ideas, I'd appreciate help. Though this is not "computer's life-threatening" problem and am able to work around it with an added step of having to reboot with the flash drive in the USB port, if I can resolve this problem as presented, it'd be great. It would take me back to how it used to always be.

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 28, 2020 Views 1,217 Applies to: