Question

Q: Sounds and Audio devices on control panel greyed out.

The sounds and audio devices is greyed out on the control panel and i have no sound except for a few beeps. It just suddenly became like this and without any warning. It's very strange and annoying because i have tried many things like uninstalling and re installing sound drivers on the system devices and still nothing apart from a message saying there is no sound card. However, i know there is a sound card, because it was working fine up till now! I hope you can sort this out. Thanks, Kenny.

The sounds and audio devices is greyed out on the control panel and i have no sound except for a few beeps. It just suddenly became like this and without any warning. It's very strange and annoying because i have tried many things like uninstalling and re installing sound drivers on the system devices and still nothing apart from a message saying there is no sound card. However, i know there is a sound card, because it was working fine up till now! I hope you can sort this out. Thanks, Kenny.

=======================================
Maybe your sound card went bad and needs to be replaced.

The following article may be worth a look:

(307918) How to troubleshoot sound problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307918/en-us

Volunteer J - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience - Notice_This is not tech support_I am a volunteer - Solutions that work for me may not work for you - ***Proceed at your own risk***
.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

VJ
I fear this is what i have. I had a small short in my speaker which i believe fried my MB audio card.
So i bought a USB sound device which works fine through its own software. But i cannot select it. 

With the panel grayed out, there is no way to select this as my default sound device.

Any thoughts? I have been struggling with this for three days. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, I have no experience with external sound cards.

Posting your question in the following forum may be worth a try:

Microsoft Answers - Windows XP - Hardware and Drivers
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware?page=1&tab=all

Just wondering...can you go to Device Manager and 
uninstall the old driver?

You can launch Device Manager by going
to...Start/Run and type or copy/paste
     devmgmt.msc
Then press enter.

In Device Manager / expand the section -
"Sound, video and game controllers"

Double left click the entry for your Sound Driver...
For example. mine says:  'Realtek High Definition Audio'

Click the 'Driver' tab and then left click the Uninstall button.

Now...maybe...when you restart the computer it will find
your new external sound card.

Good luck...

.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***

Sorry this didn't help.

I actually did that. I honestly think a blow out my on board sound card. But why the entire 
"Sounds and Audio devices" controls are completely grayed out remains a mystery.

So now there us no way to make my USB audio device my default. 

I guess i just have a soundless computer now.

Thanks for the feed back though. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I experienced similar problem as yours and found the following link helpful in solving it:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01427349&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Good luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 6,375 Last updated: May 19, 2018 Applies to: