Shift keys not working

For no apparent reason both shift keys on my Toshiba laptop have suddenly stopped working. Can still get Capitals if I use Caps Lock but of course then have to unlock it before I move on. Have tried plugging in a USB keyboard and the problem is just the same which makes me think that it is not a hardware problem. Have looked in device manager and it says that the keyboard driver is working correctly and when I have tried to update it says that I am using the most up to date version of driver. Does anyone have any bright ideas. Running WinXP Professional Sp3

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2018 Views 152,154 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

It might be that you have by mistake turned on the sticky keys on the system.

Sticky Keys is an accessibility feature designed for people who have difficulty holding down two or more keys at a time. When a shortcut requires a key combination such as CTRL+P, StickyKeys will enable you to press one key at a time instead of pressing them simultaneously

I would suggest you to check whether the sticky keys are turned on. Follow the steps mentioned below.

a.       Click on Start and click on Control panel.

b.      Click on ‘Accessibility Options’ and in keyboard tab make sure that there is no check mark near ‘Use stickykeys’.

c.       If there is a check mark then remove it and then click on Apply.

Refer the article mentioned below.

StickyKeys: Press One Key at a Time for Key Combinations

http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windowsxp/stickykeys.aspx

Thank you and Regards.           

Thahaseena M
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

112 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.