RUNDLL Exception trying to run "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll"

When I use a flashdrive in my USB port the hotplug icon shows up in the bottom right corner of my screen, as normal. When I open it to safely remove the device from the USB port I click the device, click stop, hit enter it comes up and says okay to remove device safely. Then it immediately comes up with a box titled RUNDLL and in the box it says An exception occurred while trying to run "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll". I click close message box and remove my USB device. The hotplug icon stays there. I open it up again and it shows my DVD drive. The icon wont go away until I tell it to stop the DVD drive. When I do that the DVD drive disappears from windows explorer. I reboot my computer and the DVD drive comes back but so does the hotplug icon. Can anyone tell me what to do to fix this? 

My OS is XP Pro SP3 current on all updates.

My laptop is Dell Latitude D630c

Question Info

Last updated November 21, 2018 Views 9,061 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Seanmichael60,

We are glad to hear that you were able to find a fix to the issue and I thank you for the information provided. Please feel free to contact us back, in case you face any other issues in future.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.