Printing from windows 7 to XP print server to brother hl5040 laser printer

Hello, I have a Windows XP machine that I use as a printer share server.  I have a Brother HL5040 monochrome laser printer that works great attached to it and other computers share this printer.  Last year, I got a new notebook that had Windows 7.  The brother printer would not work with Windows 7 since it is 64 bit ?  Somehow, I was directed on how to make a manual driver in the Windows 7 machine and it actually printed to the XP server and to the Brother HL5040.  Last week, I had to reload Windows 7 since it crashed and Toshiba couldn't repair it withour reformatting.  The printer driver that did work for the Brother HL5040 from WIndows & was lost.  Does anybody have any infor on this or have another means to make this printer print from Windows 7 to a XP shared printer I would be very appreciative.  Thank you much !
|
Brother has something it calls an Enhanced Generic PCL Driver that is supposed to work for Windows 7 x64 for your printer -->http://tinyurl.com/az7syvc
Note that this is a bare-bones driver that will not support some of the features of your printer, but it will enable printing.  See http://tinyurl.com/b4zq3lo

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks LemP, I performed the procedure on the PC that is running Windows 7 and trying to prinbt to the Windows XP machine with the Brother HL5040 printer attached. I had no luck whatsoever in getting it to work.  I remember doing something in the THp port to make it work previously, but I cant find and of teh papers I had when I did it.  Thanks again for your help Oh, and yea, Brother is a waste of time to deal with.  You gave me more response than them !!!!  They dont support sharing, but make printers that do share !!  !@#$%

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

LemP,

This article may help.

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

Rick
If you find this helpful, please mark it. Thanks

Dell RockStar

Microsoft MVP April 1, 2012

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 94 Applies to: