Question

Q: PRINT SPOOLER service will not START, ERROR: 1058 - Service cannot be started

OS = XP SP3

LAPTOP = Dell D500

As prescribed by Microsoft and Dell Knowledge Bases, I have deleted spool printer and driver files; and edited my registry, removing print drivers and monitors.  I have also followed processes dictated by KB919750, to no avail.

I am unable to ADD Printers, due to this issue.

I continue to receive the same error messages...

"Could not start Print Spooler service on Local Computer"

"ERROR 1058: Service cannot be started"

Answer

A:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810894/en-us   (You may have done some but not all of the steps in this article; if cleanspl worked, it should have done what is described in this article).

If that doesn't work, open services (Start > Run > services.msc), double-click the Print Spooler service and then click the Logon tab.  Ensure that the hardware profile is Enabled.

-----
LemP
Community Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

OS = XP SP3

LAPTOP = Dell D500

As prescribed by Microsoft and Dell Knowledge Bases, I have deleted spool printer and driver files; and edited my registry, removing print drivers and monitors.  I have also followed processes dictated by KB919750, to no avail.

I am unable to ADD Printers, due to this issue.

I continue to receive the same error messages...

"Could not start Print Spooler service on Local Computer"

"ERROR 1058: Service cannot be started"

LemP:  Thank you.  Your suggestion to confirm the device was also ENABLED did the trick!!!!  I am now able and have ADDED a printer.  Thanks again!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 4,601 Last updated: March 26, 2018 Applies to: