Question

Q: new wireless keyboard installation-must I install the software

I am replacing a Microsoft wireless keyboard with a new Microsoft 1000 wireless keyboard which comes with a software CD. My computer doesn't have a working CD drive. Do you think the new wireless keyboard can be connected without installing the software? I only need the basic keys-no hot keys or anything special.

Answer

A:

I am replacing a Microsoft wireless keyboard with a new Microsoft 1000 wireless keyboard which comes with a software CD. My computer doesn't have a working CD drive. Do you think the new wireless keyboard can be connected without installing the software? I only need the basic keys-no hot keys or anything special.

No, you don't need to install IntelliType, although you can do so following Santosh's advice.  From the readme file (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/IntelliType/readme/en-US/default.mspx ):

Note
Your Microsoft keyboard and mouse will work with basic functionality prior to installing the IntelliType Pro and IntelliPoint software. Installing the software is required for full functionality.
The driver for the wireless transceiver (the little dongle that you plug into a USB port) should install automatically when you plug it in.
-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

Hi eddie h,

You might want to install the software for the Microsoft Wireless 1000 Keyboard on the computer. As your CD ROM drive is not working, I would suggest you to either download the Microsoft Wireless 1000 Keyboard software from Microsoft website and install it on the computer or copy the contents of CD to a USB flash drive and then, launch the installation from USB flash drive.

Download Mouse and Keyboard Software

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Santosh Y – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 1,637 Last updated: March 26, 2018 Applies to: