New brother MFC-495 wireless printer won't print from laptop Windows XP

Similar to other questions but different enough:

1st installed the printer to the desktop that does not have wireless using USB port.  Prints.

2nd installed software to my wireless laptop.  I can see the printer in the printers folder, it says ready, but won't print.  Printer has been set up with SSID, etc, and even has an indicator that it is getting wireless signal.  I know the laptop is wireless or I would not be writing this from it right now. 

How to I get my laptop and printer to really talk to each other????  BTW, my wireless router is working fine since my Android phone works on it.  Power does not need to be on the desktop for this. 

I don't really want to network the computers since I will be decommissioning the desktop, but so far the system has made me do that in my attempts to get the printer to wirelessly print.

Rose

Answer
Answer

I have all IP addresses but would rather not provide them.  Been having issues with privacy on several fronts recently. 

When I go to Printers and Faxes I have multiple "shared" printers here.  Probably because I installed the drivers from the printer on the desktop and laptop.  Doesn't matter,  none of the printers print from the laptop, only from the desktop.  The port on one is "roselaptop": Standard TCP/IP Port.  The other is COM4 : serial port.  I have the 2 computers networked as a home network and figured that should solve the problem.  The laptop is the "residential gateway" in the network set up.  Seems like I should be able to add that wireless printer to the network.  It is reading a signal just fine.

I will try unplugging the USB cable from the desktop and see what happens.

Thank you for all of your detailed descriptions for helping me!

Rose

You're being overly cautions with respect to IP addresses, but perhaps the following will help:

When you have a router, the ONLY IP address that is "seen" by the rest of the Internet is the one assigned to your router by your ISP.  The router assigns IP addresses to the devices on the "inside" -- your LAN -- which is why these are called "private" IP addresses.  There are three blocks of these private IP addresses:  10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255; 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255; and 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255.  Almost every home router uses the third block (which has the smallest number of possible addresses).  And almost every home router defaults to using either 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.255 or 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.1.255.

Whatever block of IP addresses used by your router, it is important that all of the devices be on the same subnet.  Thus, if the Default Gateway (which is your router's local IP address) is 192.168.1.1, then your computers AND the printer should have IP addresses of the form 192.168.1.x.  If your Default Gateway is 192.168.0.1, then the others should be 192.168.0.x.

The difference between a shared printer and a network printer is that the shared printer is a "resource" of a computer that is connected to the network.  In order to access a shared resource (whether it is a file on the computer's hard drive or a printer connected to the computer by a USB, serial, or parallel cable), the computer that "owns" the resource must be turned on and connected to the network.

In your original post, you said that you had a wireless router.  That's the typical way that home users set up networks.  That's not consistent, however, with describing your laptop as the residential gateway.  Perhaps you mean that you see an icon called "residential gateway" in the laptop's "My Network Places."  If so, that icon represents your router.

Your description of ports also is confusing.  Usually, when you set up a port for a printer, the port name is the name you give to the printer -- not the laptop.  But what's important here is that the IP address shown on the "Configure Port" screen for the "Standard TCP/IP" port that the printer is using (the one with the check mark), must be the same as the IP address assigned to the printer (which you find out by printing the "Network Configuration Report" from the printer's control panel).

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 7, 2020 Views 8,609 Applies to: