My brother printer mfc290c stopped comunicating with my computer.

My dominsion 2400 Dell has an issue as I was able to set up the printer to another computer, Tried 3 times to get the cd to run the program through but failed. I was never able to get that printers' fax ability set up when I tried I got error message that fxscfgwz.dll was missing. What is the best way to find & install that file. Also any ideas on why I can't download the original cd from the brother mfc290c  printer installation on my 1st computer? Help!

|
Answer
Answer
Hi,
Thank you for posting the issue on Microsoft Community.
We will try to help you resolve the issue.
Here are a few steps which you can follow:

Method 1:
Run the printer fixit from the link below and check:
Resources for troubleshooting printer issues in Windows XP

Method 2:
Download and install the printer drivers from the link below:
http://www.brother-usa.com/downloads/default.aspx?ProductID=MFC290c&ProductGroupID=5

Also refer the following links for assistance:

"Cannot Copy File Fxscfgwz.dll" Error Message When You Try to Install Windows XP Fax Services

You receive an error message when you try to use the Add Printer Wizard to add a printer in Windows XP

Hope this resolves the issue. If issue persists, you can write back to us and we will be glad to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Debbe,

Please see the comments from Ian Pugh and then unmark the response from the "support engineer" as an "Answer" -- it is not the solution to your problems.

You seem to have a number of problems, but you haven't provided much detail with which to diagnose them.  Please describe what happens when you try to install the printer. Be as detailed as you can. If you get any error messages, please provide them completely, without paraphrasing.

What did the Brother tech say was wrong with your computer?  Usually, tech support resorts to this sort of finger pointing when they don't understand the problem.

You say that you installed the printer on another computer.  What version of Windows is installed on that computer?  To which computer do you intend to keep the printer connected?  Do you intend to share the printer over a local network?

Please do the following in order to supply some basic information about your Dell 2400:

• Click Start, then click Run, then type msinfo32.exe into the "Open" box and click OK
  • After the System Information window has populated, click Edit > Select All then click Edit > Copy
  • Then Paste (CTRL+V) the copied data into your Reply here

What were you doing when you received the error message about fxscfgwz.dll?  Normally, this error may arise when you try to install Windows XP Fax Services -- but you shouldn't be doing that for a device such as your Brother MFC290c.  You only install Windows XP Fax Services when you are using a fax modem -- and your MFC290c is a stand-alone fax machine, not a fax modem.  Part of the software included on the Brother CD allows you to send faxes from your computer, but this is completely separate from Windows XP Fax Services (I suppose it's possible that Brother PC-Fax uses some of the files that normally are used by XP Fax, which is why I asked about what you were doing when the error happened; normally, when third-party software uses a Windows file, the file is included in the software installation package even if it's "supposed to be" available already on the computer).

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 13, 2020 Views 1,628 Applies to: