Mic is not being detected using Realtek HD audio

I just got done installing Windows XP on my computer and have been attempting to get all my things updated and back up and running, but the one thing I cannot seem to get to work anymore is my mic being detected by Windows. Steps I have already taken:

1. Fully updated to Service Pack 3 and all available updates through Windows Update
2. Updated drivers for my motherboard and graphics cards
3. Updated drivers for Realtek HD Audio
4. Tested the headset on another computer (worked just fine, also can hear my own feedback)

Now this problem has only started happening since I installed XP. I actually had a copy of Windows 7 previously but due to me misplacing the disc (and the product key...) I had to revert to a free'd up copy of XP after a hard drive failure. I've been using voice chat programs for online games for some time now using this same hardware setup. The only thing that changed was going from 7 to XP.

I've gone into the mixer and so far have made it where it won't detect the front panel (which is disconnected anyway), made sure my mic volume was at max, made sure all options for recording were unmuted, and made sure the WIndows mic options were at max output. So far though, I still have no sound detection from my mic.

Motherboard is a EVGA P55V with Intel chipset
Graphics are 2 SLI'd Envidia GTS 450 (because I've seen some troubleshoot issues that have been graphic card related)
Headset being used is a Turtle Beach EarForce X12

Any additional help would be appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated June 20, 2019 Views 359 Applies to:

Hello Tallen,

Welcome to Microsoft community where you will get best solutions for Windows related issues.

I understand that you have issues with installing Microphone to your computer. I would definitely help you in fixing this issue.

Perform the following troubleshooting methods to fix Microphone issues.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to make sure the Microphone is selected in the “Default Device” option.

Follow these steps:

a.       Click 'Start' then Select 'Control Panel'.

b.      Then double-click 'Sounds and Audio Devices'.

c.       Select the 'Voice Tab'.

d.      Under “Default Device” what device do you see?

e.      Click 'Test Hardware'.

Method 2:

Refer to these links to know how to setup a Microphone and to fix problems with it.

To set up a microphone

Possible speech recognition problems

I hope this helps you to fix the issue. If the issue persists or you have any other issues with Windows, please do post it in Microsoft Community. We would be happy to help you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.