Is there any way to enable Stereo Mix in Windows XP ?

Here is what I have. I don't have computer name or manufacture because it was built from someone's place I know and not manufactured like store's things.

OS Name-----Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version----5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer-----Microsoft Corporation
System Type-----X86-based PC
Processor-----x86 Family 15 Model 75 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2210 Mhz
=

I use Realtek High Definition Audio. In the Control Panal's Sounds and Audio Devices, Audio Sound Recording  Stereo Mix is greyed out. It is greyed out in Realtek HD Audio Input, all of Audio Input is greyed out in Realtek and I don't have a mic. I want to record with Stereo Mix but it is disabled. I looked at this link.  http://www.niharsworld.com/2008/05/28/no-stereo-mix-recording-option-here-are-few-solutions/    and 
doesn't help me. I know I could get a Audio Splitter but I don't want to do that. I tried looking in the Registry Editor for enabling Stereo Mix but couldn't  find the thing for it.  I have updated all my drivers. so does anyone know what I can do to get stereo mix enabled and working ? I have searched internet already and no help. my last question about this a person told me , ---

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/how-can-i-enable-sterio-mix-in-sound-recording/57c39909-a5f6-49a9-b155-786d5f619fb0

"You may start the computer in a clean boot state and check if the issue persists. Clean boot helps eliminate any third party software conflict.

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting step, follow the “Steps to configure Windows to use a Normal startup state” in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need any assistance in the future regarding Windows. We will be glad to help."  

This doesn't tell me anything at all. It's not any kind of conflict I know of. Windows XP and other systems have their Stereo Mix disabled. I cannot go into Sounds and devices thing and show my disabled devices to enable them like Vista users can. 

Question Info

Last updated July 11, 2018 Views 7,410 Applies to:

Hi R.Stone,

Read this KB Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448

Note: scroll down and read under "Update deployment information"

THE PART THAT SAYS "IMPORTANT"

And download Update from the link below if applicable.

KB935448.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448

Thread from Tech support forum.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f23/resolved-stereo-mix-unable-and-cannot-be-enabled-162998.html

Good luck.

Take time to let us know if the suggestion worked...or not.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

That didn't help me any. I went to the link for the update but if you look at requirements it says,
Supported operating systems: Windows XP Service Pack 2

I downloaded it and tried running it and it said,  " KB935448 Setup Error ,    Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying. There is no need to install this update"

What can I do now ? Only thing I  can think of would be to install Service Pack 2 then try the update and then come back to Service Pack 3 but that would be going back down to a earlier update.  Is there any other way to fix it ? If you look at the date from here,   http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f23/resolved-stereo-mix-unable-and-cannot-be-enabled-162998.html     That one is back during 2008/2009. 

Sorry this didn't help.

In your description of your system, you left out the information about your audio card/device.

Start System Information (Start > Run > msinfo32.exe > OK)
In the left pane, click the + next to "Components" then click "Sound Device"
Click Edit > Select All, then click Edit > Copy
Paste (CTRL+V) the data into your Reply here.

DO NOT "install Service Pack 2 then try the update and then come back to Service Pack 3."
-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Sorry this didn't help.

I told you what my sound device was when I posted the question and the rest of the information. 

Name---Realtek High Definition Audio
Manufacturer---Realtek
Status---OK
PNP Device ID---HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0662&SUBSYS_10438290&REV_1001\4&DE35B9E&0&0001
Driver---c:\windows\system32\drivers\rtkhdaud.sys (5.10.0.6662 built by: WinDDK, 5.86 MB (6,141,584 bytes), 1/19/2010 6:52 PM)

Sorry this didn't help.

I just wanted to confirm that you have the correct driver ... which you do.

See if this document helps (scroll down past the section for "Windows Vista / Windows 7/ Windows 8" to the part that starts with "On XP or earlier ...") --> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Mixer_Toolbar_Issues#Using_the_Control_Panel
-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't know where  I am suppose to look for the thing to fix it. On mine I want to record sound (Record What I Hear) known as Stereo Mix.  I am recording with CamStudio from  camstudio.org/  . 
I don't understand what to do from that link. Could you help me any ? It is greyed out in both Realtek and Windows XP recording settings. 

Sorry this didn't help.

At the linked page, you should start with the following instruction:

On XP or earlier, right-click over the speaker icon in the System Tray > Adjust Audio Properties. Or you can click Start > (Settings) > Control Panel > Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices > Sounds and Audio devices.  If you then click on the Audio tab, you should see the following:

Did you get that far?  If so, continue to follow the instructions on that page.  AFAIK, "Stereo Mix" is shown as the input "Sum."

If that didn't help, then see this section of the page:

Sometimes "Stereo Mix" can only be made to work by using the control panel supplied by the sound card manufacturer - this is often reported with RealTek inbuilt sound devices. Try launching the sound device control panel from the Windows Control Panel or the system tray (by the clock). If you see a volume control for Stereo Mix, try clicking to select it. Confusingly, some RealTek devices "select" an input by muting all but one, so in this case, mute everything except stereo mix. If you don't see Stereo Mix, click the wrench icon and enable Stereo Mix in the dialogue that pops up. In some RealTek versions the option to check is "Enabled recording multi-streaming". You should now see a volume control for Stereo Mix. Remember to select or unmute it as above. See this Forum topic for more help with RealTek.

Be aware that on some machines, the "Stereo Mix" option will never work because it is disabled internally by the driver settings due to copyright concerns. This is a known issue with Lenovo Thinkpad laptops, but sometimes editing the driver files can enable stereo mix.

If all else fails, you can connect a cable from the line-out (green) port of the computer to the line-in (blue), and choose the line-in as recording source. If you need to hear what you're recording, you can buy a single stereo to double stereo adaptor that will give you a spare jack to plug the speakers into. Alternative suggestions follow below.

If you still can't get it working, sorry, I have no more ideas.

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.

It didn't work for me. It is greyed out so I think it's internally disabled through driver settings. 

I downloaded Audacity and it allows me to record audio with Stereo Mix. Thank you for helping.   I can record whatever I hear with it with Stereo Mix and if I mute it in Realtek it won't record, but it still doesn't show up not greyed out in my Windows XP sound settings or Realtek sound settings. What I mean by that is, I can see stereo mix in their after clicking "show volume controls " but can't adjust it or anything except click mute.   So I cant adjust it that way or record from the Camstudio from speakers but it's ok.  thanks for replying back

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,
Use Virtual audio cable.
This is a software which will link your speaker and recorder.
It works fine on ASUS systems and laptops.
USed it with multi track Cooledit pro.

Stop complaining.
Its money minting time for Software makers.

Use it it works.
All the best

Sorry this didn't help.