I have Windows XP SP3, do I need High Definition Audio Driver Package KB888111 v 20040219.000000 or can I uninstall it?

Whenever I log in to any of the user accounts, I get this wierd Microsoft entry sound - it is the recognisable tune but with distortion. I am looking for something to cause this and when checking programmes saw this driver so I am investigating this option.

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2019 Views 986 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi EricaH_749,

1.     Have you made any recent changes on the computer?

2.     Are you referring the Windows login sound?

3.     When was the last time it was working fine?

Method 1

There is no need to install or uninstall the update as it not related to the issue which you have on the computer.

I would suggest that you manually download and install the latest audio drivers for the sound card on the computer by visiting the sound card manufacturer or the computer manufacturer website and check if it helps.

How to manage devices in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283658

Method 2

There is a possibility that some third party programs installed on the computer is causing the issue.

I would suggest that you place the computer in the clean boot state and check if it helps.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows XP by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Refer the below link to know more about clean boot procedure.

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Reset the computer to start as usual

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

a)         Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

b)         If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

c)         On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

d)         When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.