Hard drive not found. Missing hard drive

I am getting this error message: Hard Drive not found. Missing hard drive.  I have attempted to determine problem; however, I get a prompt from "HDD" wanting me to buy something to defrag the computer.  I can get to internet explorer; however, I keep getting the message and periodically I am automatically logged off. It started with a message indicating my disk space was low. But checking my computer shows I have used only 7% of available space.

Question Info

Last updated September 12, 2018 Views 6,192 Applies to:
Answer
I am getting this error message: Hard Drive not found. Missing hard drive.  I have attempted to determine problem; however, I get a prompt from "HDD" wanting me to buy something to defrag the computer.  I can get to internet explorer; however, I keep getting the message and periodically I am automatically logged off. It started with a message indicating my disk space was low. But checking my computer shows I have used only 7% of available space.

A prompt requesting that you buy something to fix a problem suggests that you have been infested with malware.

Download, install, update, and run both of the following:

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware: malwarebytes.org

SUPERAntiSpyware: superantispyware.com

You can uninstall these applications later if you want, but I suggest keeping them and periodically scanning your system.  Be sure to update prior to a scan.

If the malware prevents those applications from running or installing, use SUPERAntiSpyware Portable first:http://superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html?tag=SAS_HOMEPAGE You don't have to update this version of SAS and it does not get installed ... just run it.  Follow up with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hi uhura55,

-      When exactly do you get this error message about the hard drive not found?

-      What’s the exact message that you get about defragmentation?

-      What’s the error message that you get while on the Internet Explorer?

-      What’s the make and model of your hard disk? Is it an external or an internal hard disk?

Method 1: Run the Fix it tool provided in the link given below and see if it helps in fixing the issue.

A computer that is running Windows XP cannot detect a USB flash drive, an Apple iPod, or an external hard disk drive

Method 2: Perform Disk Error check and see if that makes any difference.

Refer the link below to do the same:

How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP

Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Regards,
Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.