Hard drive error

My computer has had trouble starting up.  It says that there is some corrupted file.  I ran a hard drive diagnostics test, and drive 0 failed, return code 4.  I was wondering what this meant?  I am running a chkdsk /p to check the volume, and trying to find the error.  Is this fixable?  Thanks

Question Info

Last updated February 15, 2020 Views 4,351 Applies to:
By the way, I have windows xp home edition, and my computer is a dell dimension series.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It probably means that the disk is defective. For example, it might have bad sectors, in which case the /r option in chkdsk might be able to fix it. I'm not familiar with a /p option.

In any case, that return code is a red flag indicating disk problems, and the problems will probably get worse, sooner or later.  Back up all of your important data files to an external medium ASAP.

What is your computer's model number? 

What brand is the disk?  You can find that information in the BIOS setup program or in Device Manager.  The disk manufacturer might have a more powerful utility for fixing disk problems.

Steve Winograd

Sorry this didn't help.

Does the corrupted file have a name?
Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

The computer is a dimension 4700 dell.  The disk is a samsung HD080HJ SATA drive.  I have also tried the /r option in chkdsk, which gives the same result as /p: "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems".  The corrupted file is system32\drivers\pci.sys in the C:\\Windows folder.  

How can you back up your files?  I know how to do it if the computer is working, but I cannot get the computer to boot up.  It always gets the error message "Corrupted/missing file."   Is there still a way to back up files w/o actually getting the computer to boot up? 

Sorry this didn't help.

Remove the hard drive and place it in an external drive enclosure. Unless the hard drive has totally failed you have a good chance of recovering data files fro the drive.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamode-External-Housing-inch-Drive/dp/B00267IJHG/ref=pd_cp_ce_2
Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

First, receiving the error that a file is corrupted rarely means your hard drive is toast. This is especially true since the diagnostics came back clean. Like Gerry asked, what is the exact error message?

Also, chkdsk /p usually will not recover and restore the data.. Use /r and not /p.
Microsoft Partner Network Member

Sorry this didn't help.

I've tried the chkdsk /r option, which has returned the same thing as /p.  The error message is "The volume appears to contain once or more unrecoveralbe problems"
Would re-installing windows solve the problem?  I don't know, since the hard drive has an error code.  

Sorry this didn't help.

My computer has had trouble starting up.  It says that there is some corrupted file.  I ran a hard drive diagnostics test, and drive 0 failed, return code 4.  I was wondering what this meant?  I am running a chkdsk /p to check the volume, and trying to find the error.  Is this fixable?  Thanks

Please identify the hard drive and the diagnostics test. What does "return code 4" refer to? What were the COMPLETE results of the diagnostic?

The drive may or may not be toast. You definitely need to back up your data before you do anything else! One way is to use the method Gerry mentioned. Or you can burn a live Linux CD and boot off that and copy your data to an external hard drive.

Sorry this didn't help.

I apologize for not reading the entire post. Actually, I thought I did read it. Apparently I missed some things. A lot of things.. Again, I apologize.

I would recommend you follow the steps on the link below to back up your data first.

Recovering data

I searched for error code 4 and could not locate any info. Your computer is obviously recognizing the hard drive. Otherwise you would get a different error. Perhaps "No bootable device found". Instead, you're getting a corrupt/missing file. That tells me your hard drive is not completely toast and your data can be saved.

We need to find out what error code 4 means. Reinstalling Windows would solve the issue with the missing file but, according to the diagnostics you have a hard drive error. So, re-installing may not produce any better results.

Many times hard drives can be saved using SpinRite (<< the best) or HDD Re-generator if the issue is bad sectors. As stated, we need to know what the error code means. Until then, back up your data and perhaps call Samsung technical support to find out what the error means.
Microsoft Partner Network Member

Sorry this didn't help.