Question

Q: Getting an error "D:/ is not accessible. an I/O device error" while trying to access hard disk

* Original Title: I/o problem

i am not able to access my hard disk.windows is saying that :-

"D:/ is not accessible. an I/O device error"

i also tried chkdsk but it is saying that it is not directly operatable.

Answer

A:

Hi Rishanpc,

Thank you for the post. I am sorry to hear that you are getting an error "D:/ is not accessible. an I/O device error" while trying to access hard disk.  

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

To help you suggest more steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate it if you could answer the following questions:

1.      Have you checked if the cables are properly connected?

2.      Is it an internal or external hard drive?

3.      Were there any recent changes made on the computer prior to the issue?

The most common cause of a non-accessible I/O error is a disconnected cable. When the computer tries to access a device and it gets no response after several tries, it will generate this type of error. Another common cause is when a program tries to access a file that has been removed or deleted.

Disconnected Hard Drive/Incorrect Cable Setup

Internal drives require a specific set up. IDE hard drives can only have one master. If another hard drive has its pin setting set incorrectly, a user might not be able to access the data, and he will receive a message that the drive cannot be accessed. Cables coming loose inside a computer's case also cause a non-accessible I/O error. The user can fix this problem by opening the case, and attaching the data cables for each drive securely to the motherboard and to the back of each drive.

You may follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

a.       Access "Control Panel" from the Start menu and then choose "Performance and Maintenance."

b.      Click "System" and then go to the Hardware tab and click on "Device Manager."

c.       Find the device that is registering an error by expanding the nodes of the appropriate category. If the device has a red "X" on the icon next to its description, the hardware is disabled; proceed to Step d to enable it. Otherwise, go to Step e.

d.      Go to the General tab and click "Enable Device" found under the Device Status section; then press "OK." (Note: You may have to follow prompts, as indicated through an enabling device wizard. If you do, continue to click "Next" and follow the prompts until the process has completed.) Test the hardware. If an error is shown, proceed to Step e.

e.       Go to the General tab and click "Troubleshoot" found under the Device Status section then press "OK." Follow the prompts to solve the issue. If an error is still shown, proceed to Step f.

f.       Go to the Driver tab and click "Update Driver." Follow the prompts until the process has completed and then test the hardware.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

K.Z. Sharief Khan
Ex-Microsoft Forum Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 4977 Last updated: November 25, 2017 Applies to: