"Function address caused a protection fault" accessing Printer Preferences. Please HELP!

Today i started getting an error message every time I try to set the Printer Preferences on my Dell

1720 laser printer for no apparent reason. Every time I try to access the Print Preferences dialog, I

get this error message:

"Function address 0x39a05a9 caused a protection fault. (exception coe 0x0000005)
Some or all property page(s) may not be display."

I am using WinXP SP3, have never had this trouble before.

I rebooted computer, same problem.

I deleted and reinstalled printer, same problem.

I downloaded the Dell driver and reinstalled it, same problem.

I can print, but I cannot access the full Dell Printer Preferences dialog and keep getting that error

message when I try to.

I've been using the same printer and system for years with no trouble. What's going on?

Please help!

Question Info

Last updated August 13, 2019 Views 17,038 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Today i started getting an error message every time I try to set the Printer Preferences on my Dell

1720 laser printer for no apparent reason. Every time I try to access the Print Preferences dialog, I

get this error message:

"Function address 0x39a05a9 caused a protection fault. (exception coe 0x0000005)
Some or all property page(s) may not be display."

I am using WinXP SP3, have never had this trouble before.

I rebooted computer, same problem.

I deleted and reinstalled printer, same problem.

I downloaded the Dell driver and reinstalled it, same problem.

I can print, but I cannot access the full Dell Printer Preferences dialog and keep getting that error

message when I try to.

I've been using the same printer and system for years with no trouble. What's going on?

Please help!

Hi Steve,

If the problem just started today, run System Restore to wind back the clock to a date when you know the printer was working properly.

Here's how.

Go to Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore

Click: Restore my computer to an earlier time and click Next.

From the calendar which appears, choose a date when you know the printer was working properly and then click Next.

System Restore takes a few mins to run during which the PC will reboot. If the restoration was successful, you'll see a message to that effect.

If it fails to fix the problem, you can undo the restoration via the same System Restore menu.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks. I tried your suggestion and restored system back to 3 days before problem started but it did not fix the poroblem and I don't notice any change in operation.

Anyone else have any ideas??

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have followed suggestions in KB924078, but could not install Hotfix because it says my Service Pack update is newer and does not need to be updated.  Removed printer driver, even took out any references in Regedit to that printer, and reinstalled. Same problem persists.  Besides the very annoying error message every time I try to set Print Preferences, I can only access the limited Windows preferences dialog, which is more limited and more cumbersome than the full Dell dialog.

Sorry this didn't help.

This sounds as if your printer driver has been corrupted.  If the System Restore procedure suggested by Xircal doesn't help, follow the instructions below to completely clean out the printing system and reinstall your printer.  If you only deleted the printer from Printers and Faxes and then reinstalled it, you will not have replaced the existing -- possibly corrupted -- driver, even if you downloaded a new driver.

Because printing problems have sometimes been caused by malware, please do the following first:

Download, install, update, and run full scans with each of these two programs.  You do not need the "Pro" versions or the trial of the "Pro" versions.  When installing, be careful to UNcheck any option to install something else, such as the Ask Toolbar.  Each scan will take quite some time, so start one up and go do a non-computer chore for a couple of hours.  When the first scan is done, start the second one.  Permit each of the scanners to delete or quarantine whatever is found.  Uninstall the programs when done.
MalwareBytes AntiMalware
SUPERAntiSpyware

After the scanners have dealt with any issues, run this Microsoft Fix it --> http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9662904

This Fix it has two modes, depending on whether the box is checked to "Reset print spooler to defaults." Disconnect the printer from the computer, check the box and run the Fix it.  Running in this mode will restore the print spooler to defaults and will require a complete reinstall of your print drivers and printers. 

Reboot the computer after running the Fix it with the box checked.  Re-install your printer by using the file you downloaded.  Do not connect the printer to the computer until prompted to do so by the software installation routine.

If the Fix it has problems, it should create a log file on your Desktop.  If this happens, open the log with Notepad, copy the contents, and paste them into your reply here.

If any error message appears, please provide the complete text, without paraphrasing.

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply. I will try those steps tomorrow. Meanwhile, let me ask what may sound like a stupid question. What happens to the remaining pseudo "printers" -- Adobe PDF, PDF995, Microsoft Office Document Image Wrier, XPS Document Writer that were installed by Windows or other programs after I run the FixIt? Thanks again.

Sorry this didn't help.

That's a good question to which I don't have an empirical answer.  My guess is that they all will be removed and need to be re-installed.  If you don't want to chance that, here is the manual procedure that I used to suggest before the Fix it became available (in B, you can remove only the driver associated with the problem):

A. Clean out stuck print jobs --

Open an Elevated Command Prompt (search for "cmd.exe"; right-click and select "Open as administrator")

Type the following in the black Command Prompt window and press Enter after each line

net stop spooler
                           del /Q "%windir%\system32\spool\PRINTERS\*.*"
                           net start spooler
                           exit

B. Clean out corrupt printer driver

Uninstall printer-related software from Control Panel > Programs and Features

Open an Elevated Command Prompt (search for "cmd.exe"; right-click and select "Open as administrator")

Type the following in the black Command Prompt window and press Enter

printui /s /t2
        exit

Be sure to remove the driver AND the package.

C. Reinstall printer using freshly-downloaded software package.

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow, every step presents a new challenge. Now I can't get Search to work. The left blue panel displays the animated dog but no search data entry fields appear above it. It worked ok last week. I'm wondering if my Windows XP is corrupted. I will follow the malware scan suggestions and get back to you. If computer is clean, should I do a repair install of SP3? Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

It sounds as if your system is pretty severely compromised.  Perhaps the malware scans will reveal something.  If nothing is reported, see if the printer cleaning and reinstall directions (as supplemented below) will at least get you printing again.

I just noticed that the instructions I gave you were for Windows 7.  Ignore the stuff about "Elevated Command Prompt."  Just open a Command Prompt window (Start > Run > cmd > OK).

For step B, in Windows XP, printui is a DLL file and can't be executed directly the way it can in Windows 7 (where it is an EXE file).  Instead, use the following command in the Command Prompt window:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /s /t2

And, IIRC, there's no "package" in XP. Just remove the driver.
-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow, every step presents a new challenge.

Hi Steve,

Here's another Fixit which might be worth trying:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/printing_problems

Sorry this didn't help.

So far I have done the following:

Run CCleaner, which found quite a few Registry Errors (unusual) which I backed up and Fixed.

Scanned with HitMan Pro. Nothing found.

Full System Scan (took a long time) with Norton. Nothing found.

Scanned with MalWareBytes, which found 1 item: PUM.Disabled.Security.Center (registry error?), removed. I saved the log if you need it. **

Scanned with SuperAntiSpyware which only found 1 Adware Tracking Cookie, deleted.

** Note: As reported on another thread, for some time I've had trouble downloading WinXP updates from the Windows Update website.  I would get a looping progress bar but it never would display any list of files. I finally accepted the "Get Microsoft Update" option but that only caused it to start downloading files I don't need - ie lots of updates to Office 2010, which I don't own (I have Office 2003), so I removed/disabled it.  As advised online, I set Windows to notify me of updates but I have not gotten any notifications since I removed the "Microsoft Update" app.

BTW, why did you suggest removing the Malwarebytes & SuperAntispyware programs?

I'm beginning to think that maybe one of the Windows Updates corrupted some files.

I'll try the print fixes you suggested later today.

Thanks again.

Sorry this didn't help.