Flaky USB recognition under XP Pro SP3

Hello all,

I have a PC running Windows XP Pro SP3 (fully updated through Microsoft Update, including all optional updates, except for Bing Desktop, Bing Desktop v1.3.1, Windows Desktop Search 4.0, Windows Live Essentials, & Gateway, Inc. - Video - Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller) that has trouble recognizing certain USB devices on certain USB ports... The ports that have trouble work with other devices, and the devices that have trouble work fine on other ports (including, in the past ports on hubs that were plugged into ports on the motherboard that would not work with the device), so I would say this is a SOFTWARE issue... The problem has been ongoing for quite a while, and getting worse... There does not seem to be a pattern to which devices will work with which ports, except that once a specific device stops working on a specific port, I have not been able to get them to start working together again... I believe that something in the USB stack has been corrupted, but cannot find a solution on my own...

Some of what I have tried includes:

Deleting all USB & Unknown devices in Device Manager, then re-booting & re-installing (This used to work, then it stopped too...!)

Re-installing SP3 (rumored to work on a different forum)

Microsoft Fixits (I forget which ones, but I've tried a few, & I'm willing to try them again.)

PNPREG.EXE (Located at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810509/en-us) even though I don't have a Winfast GC.

My PC is homebuilt, with the following hardware components:
Intel D845GRG motherboard (with a Gateway branded BIOS)
1Gb RAM,
Maxtor 30Gb DiamondMax HDD,
LG CD-RW,
Silicon Image SATA Controller (to run a 750Gb Seagate SATA HDD where My Documents & a collection of Portable Apps is loaded),
Cirque Input Center (Touchpad & Standard Keyboard)
Some of the USB devices I use regularly that I've had this issue with are:
Stix 400 (programmed as my media controller)
Microsoft LifeCam VX800
Silicon Valley Peripherals HDDV 2880 Digital Camera
Cheap Bluetooth dongle from eBay
Various USB flash drives, ranging from 256Mb through 64Gb of various brands like Lexar, Core Micro, RetailPlus+
Various USB to IDE/SATA adapters including Seagate Expansion 500Gb & Seagate Backup Plus for Mac 500Gb (Re-formatted as NTFS)
Various SD/CF Card readers
Canon CanoScan LIDE 20

The USB hubs I have are:
NexxTech "Powerbar" USB 2.0 hub (with 1A power adapter)
D-Link DSB-H4 USB 1.1 hub (with 1A power adapter)
ADS Tech USB Ultra Hub 4

The software it runs is a "fairly clean" Windows XP Pro SP3 install with:

ALL updates (except for the 4 listed above) including optional ones from MICROSOFT (NOT Windows) Update.

Flash 12
Java 7
Stix Drivers
Cirque Touchpad Driver P/N 500U 2.20 (Mar 4 2003) with XP registry patch
SpyBot Search & Destroy
ImgBrn 2.5.0.0

(As you can see, there are few programs installed, aside from device drivers, & software that came through Microsoft Update)

Most of what I do is accomplished through portable apps, if not done directly through the programs included with XP itself, so I DOUBT it has anything to do with third party software...

There are many different ways of getting this message, but I know the issue has reared it's ugly head when I see the popup bubble from the System Tray saying "USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message." AFTER I see New Hardware Found popup bubbles saying the CORRECT device name being recognized & installed...

Anybody who dives into this to help me would be greatly appreciated...

If you have any tests you want me to run, or need any information about the situation, let me know, and I'll try to get back to you in a couple of days...

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 195 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Are the USB hubs connected to a USB port on the motherboard when the problem occurs?

Its the port and not the hub that's has the problem ?

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

So, do the devices you plug in work in the end?

Also. what sort of devices may they be?

-Alex

I specialize in identifying and removing malware.

Sorry this didn't help.

Are the USB hubs connected to a USB port on the motherboard when the problem occurs?

Its the port and not the hub that's has the problem ?

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

The problem is not specifically related to the use of a hub, nor is it related to specific devices nor the use of a hub. The problems exist whether the devices are plugged into the motherboard directly, or through a hub, but a device that does not work plugged directly into a specific port on the motherboard may work plugged into a hub plugged into the same port on the motherboard (or vice versa). Other devices often work if plugged into the same port. (either on a hub or directly into the motherboard)

Sorry this didn't help.

So, do the devices you plug in work in the end?

Also. what sort of devices may they be?

-Alex

It all depends on which device is plugged in where... (It's more to do with not being able to plug ANY USB device into ANY USB port, as it is specific pairings of devices and ports that don't work.) The scanner has stopped working completely, and the different devices like removable drives (Flash, HDD, Card Readers) will only work on specific motherboard or hub ports depending on which one is being used...

I already gave a fairly comprehensive list of most of the USB devices being used, as well as the construction of the PC & the software/drivers installed... (I spent quite a while writing the question up, what part did you/I miss?)

I have pasted the list of USB devices below from my original question...

Some of the USB devices I use regularly that I've had this issue with are:
Stix 400 (programmed as my media controller)
Microsoft LifeCam VX800
Silicon Valley Peripherals HDDV 2880 Digital Camera
Cheap Bluetooth dongle from eBay
Various USB flash drives, ranging from 256Mb through 64Gb of various brands like Lexar, Core Micro, RetailPlus+
Various USB to IDE/SATA adapters including Seagate Expansion 500Gb & Seagate Backup Plus for Mac 500Gb (Re-formatted as NTFS)
Various SD/CF Card readers
Canon CanoScan LIDE 20

Sorry this didn't help.

845 chipset,that about 10 yrs old.

Either way,go to intel.com support,downloads,desktop boards,discontinued,

845 chipset,get the "chipset installation utility" for that MB.It has the drivers/

software for xp to configure it with the OS.

Also,download the SATA software & configuration utilities (3 i think),plus

silicon image,although microsoft update has a later version once the

basic is installed...

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, Andrew... I'll give that a shot when I get home after the weekend & let you know...

Sorry this didn't help.

845 chipset,that about 10 yrs old.

Either way,go to intel.com support,downloads,desktop boards,discontinued,

845 chipset,get the "chipset installation utility" for that MB.It has the drivers/

software for xp to configure it with the OS.

Also,download the SATA software & configuration utilities (3 i think),plus

silicon image,although microsoft update has a later version once the

basic is installed...

Hmm... I downloaded the drivers from Intel when I assembled the system back in 2010, so I think all the Intel Motherboard drivers are up-to-date... (Comparing Version information from my saved copies with the current versions available seems to confirm this...)

I don't remember if I loaded the SIL3512 drivers or not though... Will they really affect USB stuff like Scanners & such? I'm a bit nervous on updating the SIL3512 BIOS/Drivers, as the drive attached there contains some mission critical stuff (Portable Apps & data files) that would leave me pretty "inconvenienced" if I couldn't access them... This may take longer than I thought, since it looks like I'll be unexpectedly busy "Taking Care Of Business" this week... Maybe I can start a backup to one of the USB HDDs later this week as a safeguard before proceeding...

Sorry this didn't help.

Here's something to keep in mind. If you mess up updated drivers or the BIOS, your data on your hard drive will still be in tact. Meaning, as long as you can remove the hard drive and move it into another computer, you can always read your data.

(Improperly updated your BIOS can make your computer not be able to start, but your data will remain there)

-Alex

I specialize in identifying and removing malware.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, it's true that if I update the BIOS, (which I think I've already done,) the worst that will happen is the motherboard may become unusable, requiring a new motherboard or whole new PC, either way, probably requiring also an effectively new install of Windows... The same is true if I update the DRIVERS, (which is what Andrew E. was actually recommending,) the worst that will happen is Windows may not boot, requiring a Windows re-install...

Either way, the data on my hard drives (both external & internal) will remain intact, HOWEVER, I am not prepared to re-install Windows at this time... (I don't have the time to ensure that all the last several years tweaks & customizations to Windows's various settings are replicated properly. it takes a while to hammer one's will into Windows & set up things like viewing preferences in Windows Explorer, File Associations, etc...) If I had the time to re-install Windows I wouldn't have asked about this, I would have just done that, and my problems would be over, but we're talking about my main PC at home, which I cannot afford downtime on right now...

Alex_Tech09:

This is your second reply to this thread that seems to indicate that you don't read the whole post before replying, I'd suggest you thoroughly read (& understand) what is being said before chiming in again...

Andrew E.:

I am still preparing for the above mentioned complications, thank you for your input, and I'm still waiting to hear back regarding my question about if updating the SIL3512 (SATA) drivers will actually fix the USB issues I'm having...

Sorry this didn't help.

On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 22:58:32 +0000, M.Kingsmill wrote:

Yes, it's true that if I update the BIOS, (which I think I've already done,) the worst that will happen is the motherboard may become unusable, requiring a new motherboard or whole new PC, either way, probably requiring also an effectively new install of Windows... The same is true if I update the DRIVERS, (which is what Andrew E. was actually recommending,) the worst that will happen is Windows may not boot, requiring a Windows re-install...

I strongly recommend that you never update drivers (or the BIOS)
unless you know that the new ones fix a problem you're having or add
some feature than you need or crave. To do otherwise is just looking
for trouble. As has often been said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix
it."

Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP since October 2003

Sorry this didn't help.