External hard drive is not recognized in My Computer

My Western Digital USB external hard drive is not recognized in My Computer.

I do see it in Device Manager and in Computer Management/Disk Management but not in My Computer.

Updated driver, did a refreshed in Disk Management and did multiple restarts.

The external hard drive is there but not recognized on My Computer.

I need to restore from this external hard drive but I am unable to access it.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2019 Views 16,678 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

most of the replies deal with reformat....the original post says he wants to recover from that drive so reformat doesn't help..... most external usb drives, come with cables that have 2 usb ends, plug them both in to; seperate usb ports on the MB, seperate usb hubs, this is because the power causes issues ( current rises voltage drops) so somtimes the access to the drive causes the voltage on a single usb to drop down, the os thinks this is read only/permission issues, with 2 plugged in to seperate power sources the issue goes away....they were built that way....

I also never recommend putting a usb drive through a third party hub as most often that can cause the issues with the drive not being recognized.

Having said all that, yes I have had to reformat to get access to a drive, if you cannot write to a drive rclick and look at the permissions, if you had formated the drive on another pc and not changed the permissions to everyone, then under sercurity you see permissions set to a long number, this is because it's still set to to original pc (or the id from that pc). Sometimes you can over ride those settings by taking ownership (in the sec settings) and resetting to everyone on the local pc.

Another trick I found about the drive not being recognized....plug it in to the usb as described above and reboot the pc, I've had this work....

Note: I've deal with almost all the different drives avalible as my clients all use them.

41 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.