DVD/CD rom drive reads CD's but does not read DVD's.

My Dell Laptop Inspiron 1300 has a DVD/CD rom drive.  It loads all the CD that I want to and automatically opens them on the D Drive.  When I put in a DVD movie it will not play.  I open My Computer, then look at the D drive and it doesn't even recognize that there is a DVD inside but it does show a display of a CD that I place into it.  This tells me that it is working and it does have a green light on the side that shows.  Also, when I insert the DVD it does make some sound like it is trying to recognize but then it stops and doesn't show up.  Can anyone help?  I truly appreciate it.  I am not very computer savvy.  I know some about it as I am a teacher and try to keep up with things but I am surely no computer tech.  Thanks so much!  Let me know if I need to give more info.  I think that the drive is Sony CRX835EK but I am not 100% sure on that one.

Question Info

Last updated September 14, 2019 Views 64,302 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
If your drive reads cd's, but not dvd's That indicates that the hardware works fine. You will need to edit the registry inorder to fix this problem.

1) click the start menu
2) click on "run"
3) type "regedit" and click ok
4) go to string key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5) delete "upper filters" and "lower filters in the right side window.
6) right click my computer in the start menu.
7) click properties
8) go to the hardware tab
9) click device manager
10) expand the dvd/cdrom drives
11) right click the dvd rom and click uninstall
12) restart computer

after restarting, windows should automatically install a clean ROM drive and it should read DVDs just fine if you have the correctDVDdecoders

194 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.