drive not ready _ system halted

I have a Intel computer with windows xp pro , ver.2002 , service pack 3 . When I try to bring it up , the screen reads Media test failure , check cable ; Exiting Intel PXE ROM , Drive Not Ready-System Halted . What caused this? & How can I fix this ? I am not to Wise on computers but willing to learn, any suggestions ? By the way , the cables are connected good.

Question Info

Last updated July 12, 2018 Views 1,228 Applies to:
Answer
"merlin21" wrote in message news:de7da812-de4e-4ace-bbdb-6605739d589f...
I have a Intel computer with windows xp pro , ver.2002 , service pack 3 .. When I try to bring it up , the screen reads Media test failure , check cable ; Exiting Intel PXE ROM , Drive Not Ready-System Halted . What caused this? & How can I fix this ? I am not to Wise on computers but willing to learn, any suggestions ? By the way , the cables are connected good.

Ensure that there is no floppy disk in the floppy drive if so equipped and no CD/DVD in the CD/DVD drive but it sounds like a hard drive failure. 

When you turn on the computer do you hear the drive spin up? (remove the cover from the computer but don't touch anything inside.)  If it isn't spinning up power off (hold power button until it shuts off.)

Pull the power cord from the computer, touch the computer's metal case and (assuming an IDE type drive) then detach and reattach the 4 wire power cord to the drive.  Also carefully unplug the ribbon data cable and reattach carefully.  Ensure that the ribbon connector on the motherboard is also firmly attached.

Plug in the computer again and power up.  Drive spinning up now?  No.  Bad drive.  Hope you have a backup.  Spinning up but still the same message?  Hope you have a backup.  Take computer with all the disks for the computer and programs to a reputable repair shop (big box stores are not reputable) and hope that they can get your data off and rebuild the machine.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.