"disk read error has occurred...press ctrl alt del to restart"

. I have 2 HDD C, which XP is on and a D drive where all my music, photos, email addresses, etc, etc are stored on which is a backup drive, however, during the format I messed up somewhere and now I cannot read the D drive at all. It says the file system is RAW and the C drive is NTFS so I guess I have to somehow get the D drive back to NTFS and I`d assume I can read the D drive again. How can I do this? Thanks.

RAW to NTFS

Merry Christmas
Steve

Question Info

Last updated August 24, 2019 Views 1,538 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Youre mistake took place when you formatted C: drive,D: was probably

still plugged in,that doesnt work.One must unplug other hds,printers,etc when

formatting & reinstalling the OS..Replug after xp is up & running.

For the fix,go to run,type: diskmgmt.msc

In msc,R.click on the raw hd,select: Format  The wizard runs auto

Once thru,L.click on the formatted hd,go to actions,all,select "make active"

close out msc 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

. I have 2 HDD C, which XP is on and a D drive where all my music, photos, email addresses, etc, etc are stored on which is a backup drive, however, during the format I messed up somewhere and now I cannot read the D drive at all. It says the file system is RAW and the C drive is NTFS so I guess I have to somehow get the D drive back to NTFS and I`d assume I can read the D drive again. How can I do this? Thanks.

Merry Christmas
Steve

If you format the drive your data will be gone. Chances are your data is still on the drive and will need to be recovered, placed on a different device. Once recovered, format the hard drive. See HERE for instructions on recovering your data.

Microsoft Partner Network Member

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello. Thanks for your reply. I`m hoping not to format the D drive as it contains data that want to keep. I downloaded a trial data rcovery program but that was as useful as an ashtry on a motor bike as this program was only a trial. Do you know of any free data recovery programs or another method to rcover the data? Thanks 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello. Thanks for your reply. I`m hoping not to format the D drive as it contains data that want to keep. I downloaded a trial data rcovery program but that was as useful as an ashtry on a motor bike as this program was only a trial. Do you know of any free data recovery programs or another method to rcover the data? Thanks 

There are two that stand out to me. First is TestDisk. Next is Easeus Data Recovery Wizzard. If neither of these recover your data don't get discouraged. It is possible the disk has bad sectors which in turn caused Windows not to be able to determine the file format thus resulting in the RAW disk message. If that is the case you still have hope with SpinRite. I recommend you use the two data recovery software first before trying SpinRite. SpinRite works great but, is designed for advanced users.

Just to add, you will have to format D drive eventually. However, we need to get your data first.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks again for your help. I managed to use a full free version of Eases data recovery software, I`m having some success. I checked the box that said lost files and it did a 40 min search and recovered a bunch of files, a lot were yellow folders with a string of numbers and letters after them and also a lot of .cab files and other files starting with KB. I saved the data to my C drive as it was only about 300mb, it was saved as a yellow folder NTFS1. Trouble is not one of them contained my lost data from the D drive. So then I went back top the data recovery software and checked the RAW box then  whole bunch of files were displayed in the left panel, stating that I need at least 800GB of free space. Both my HDD don`t add up to that much space. Where to now? Thanks

Steve

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks again for your help. I managed to use a full free version of Eases data recovery software, I`m having some success. I checked the box that said lost files and it did a 40 min search and recovered a bunch of files, a lot were yellow folders with a string of numbers and letters after them and also a lot of .cab files and other files starting with KB. I saved the data to my C drive as it was only about 300mb, it was saved as a yellow folder NTFS1. Trouble is not one of them contained my lost data from the D drive. So then I went back top the data recovery software and checked the RAW box then  whole bunch of files were displayed in the left panel, stating that I need at least 800GB of free space. Both my HDD don`t add up to that much space. Where to now? Thanks

Steve

Steve I would recommend you limit the amount of files to be searched by selecting the file types that were on the D drive. In other words, if you lost pictures then select jpeg, bmp, gif and so on. Limit the search to the known lost file types.

If you continue to have problems you may want to try TestDisk DOS.

Edit: Steve it had been a while since I had used Easeus but, it had always done a pretty good job. I had never used TestDisk however. I had an SD memory card that I had accidently deleted some files on a while back and decided, in light of this topic, to try Easeus to recover the files. It didn't discover a single file. So, I decided to give TestDisk a shot since it had come highly recommended by other techs I know. Sure enough, it recovered every single picture 147 to be exact, in less than 2 minutes. So, you might want to give it a try. Be sure to read the "Read me" text as it can be a little confusing to run. Also,  there is a post on the link below where the tech gives pretty good instructions.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263779-32-change-file-type-ntfs

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello. You`re a legend :-) It seems that testdisk software worked and I was able to see my 40gb of data on my D drive. There is one small glitch. When the PC is booting up it keeps asking me to hit ctrl/alt/del everytime. Then I hit the F12 key to go to the boot sequence and it appears my C drive is set to slave and the D drive to master. I assume that`s what it is as there are the letter C and M after the drives. Isn`t the C drive supposed to be master as it`s where it boots from? If so, then that`s strange because I never played around with the jumpers, maybe it`s got something to do with the original problem. Once I sort this out then I guess I have to save my D drive data then format it. Thanks Heaps again.

Steve

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello. You`re a legend :-) It seems that testdisk software worked and I was able to see my 40gb of data on my D drive. There is one small glitch. When the PC is booting up it keeps asking me to hit ctrl/alt/del everytime. Then I hit the F12 key to go to the boot sequence and it appears my C drive is set to slave and the D drive to master. I assume that`s what it is as there are the letter C and M after the drives. Isn`t the C drive supposed to be master as it`s where it boots from? If so, then that`s strange because I never played around with the jumpers, maybe it`s got something to do with the original problem. Once I sort this out then I guess I have to save my D drive data then format it. Thanks Heaps again.

Steve

Hi Steve.

I am glad the TestDisk worked for you. I was very impressed when I used it since two other reputable recovery software failed to recover my data.,

I would recommend you check the bios to determine which hdd is master and which is slave. Are your hard drives IDE or SATA? Your D drive could be set as the first hdd boot device in the bios. This is different from the boot sequence menu option. What is the text on the screen when you are prompted to press Alt + Ctrl + Del at boot?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello. The error on the black screen says "disc read error" hit ctrl/alt/del to restart computer, which I do but it goes around in circles and does it again till I hit F12 then floppy is highlighted so I scroll down to HDD then that`s where it shows my 2 HDD and where it shows C drive as S and D drive as M, but then the C drive is highlighted and I hit enter then it boots up ok. I use AVG anti virus and when the PC boots up AVG says it`s unable to recognise license. I think that all this is related somehow.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I would suggest you to get into the Recovery Console and use the command prompt there to run chkdsk command. This will scan the hard drive for any bad sectors and recover any reading information. For instructions on how to get into the recovery console in Windows XP:

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

The above KB also shows how to use the Recovery Console command prompt.

a. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD drive, and then restart the computer.

b. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted.

c. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

d. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.

e. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

f. Type in the following command and press enter:

chkdsk /r

g. Once the command is run type "exit" (without quotes) to exit from the command prompt and check if the issue is fixed.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost

Hope this helps.
Microsoft-Forum Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.