deleted usb drivers device manager

Hi,

I have been having a problem with USB and Firewire connections on my HP XW8400 PC.  The system runs windows xp pro.  The problem I was having was that some devices/drives etc were not being noticed when I connected them to various USB or firewire slots and others were.  I have to have a usb dongle constantly on my system to run an editing package I use daily.. I also have a Firewire/USB PCI card attached.  I use the back firewire and USB slots for editing software and hard drives and the front USB slots is where I keep my dongle and I use the usb and firewire for other devices such as drives, usk sticks, cameras etc etc.  As I say, some things work fine, others wont.  For the ones that didn't connect properly the hardware device wizard would come up, I'd press connect to web for search and then it would say they hardware device wzard could not find drivers/solution/whatever.  Being that this is my main computer for work I didn't want to risk anything and so have put up with it for a long time.  However, last few days I have needed to get a camera connected to said workstation and so did some tests after trying to instal the factory software for the camera via the camera software CD and realising that it still wasn't working.  I used Malware Bytes and it came up with nothing and then AGV antivirus and it came up wirth nothing.  Ok... So I thought it MUST be something to do with the USB (and Firewire) themselves.

I searched google and it led me to this microsoft support page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575  I read through it and it said how to uninstal and re-instal usb drivers via the device manager.  So I went through following the instructions and in device manager I clicked on each of the usb devices and uninstalled.  I then re-started my computer and when it said it had found new hardware each time I clicked the hardware wizard it now can't connect to the internet because one of the usb devices was my broadband hub/router.  GREAT!

So I have now spent half the day finding the original Windows CD and I have looked on the disc but can't find anything to do with USB drivers.

I tried last known good configuration and that was obviously post the deleting of said drivers files as Ihad shut down and restarted a couple of times since.

I checked system restore and that was switched off!

So could someone please tell me how I install said USB controller so that I can get USB drivers installed?

I am guessing I now need to go throuh each device and find the software CD and add the drivers but I don't even know if I have half the CD's or if they just connected instantly via XP.  I certainly can't find anything for my router which means I can't even get on the web.

And why has my hardware wizerd for usb and firewire devices been failing me for so long?

Any advice appreciated.

PS... Microsoft, don't you think that 1 - it would be wise to let people know on the above mentioned page that deleting usb drivers may well switch off your internet so that wizard won't work and you wont have access when you connect.  If it had said that I would never have deleted them.  2 - Because of certain software I am using (Avid Media Composer) on the purpose built workstation, there are various conflicts that happen when upgrading to Service Pack 3, so you are stopping genuine microsoft product users from having access to your FIX IT thingymajig if they decide to stay on service pack 2.  Why you make life so hard Micfrosoft?  I am very careful with my systems.  I should have a choice to not have to upgrade if it means it may jeopardise other packages but I should still have freedom to basic fix it tools and services you offer.  I've had enough.   The next computer I get is a MAC!!!
Answer
Answer
You're correct, Windows XP does have drivers for a lot of devices built into the operating system.  USB devices in particular are supposed to be "plug and play" -- you just connect the device to the computer, it goes "Bong", and the device is recognized and installed.

A Windows "Repair Install" is supposed to leave all of your applications and data intact -- but you'll almost always see advice to back up everything you care about "just in case".

Try posting here:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/itproxpsp/threads
The Technet forums are supposed to be for "IT Professionals"  so perhaps your post will be seen by someone who has deeper knowledge of this issue than most of the people who post in the Answers forums.

Things to include in your post:
Good luck, and I'm sorry I couldn't solve your problem.
-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 17, 2019 Views 2,610 Applies to: