Running windows xp. Can't upgrade to IE8. Can I change my system from xp to something more recent, like windows7?

Believe I need to find a way to upgrade to IE8 so things work proper on the fantasy football sites. Tried to upgrade, got message that system is unable to do so.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 264 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

IE 8 is a browser. It is not an operating system.

As for upgrading from Windows Xp to Windows 7 the answer is no. You will need to do a clean install which means completely wiping the hard drive and installing Windows 7 fresh.

Please confirm that it is your browser or your operating system you would like to upgrade before I give you further advice. If it is Internet Explorer 8 you are trying to upgrade to please tell me what happens when you try. Exact error message pls.

Thanks.

Microsoft Partner Network Member

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Looks like I really only need to upgrade my browser, if possible. No idea what my version is but, have reason to believe it needs to be upgraded. I have not tried downloading IE8, that I know off. When I'm on yahoo, I get the option to upgrade to IE8. Also, that browser is recommended on fantasy football sites. When I click to download on yahoo, get note that I'm running what my system will support. I've tried a couple mock drafts on fantasy sites, it freezes up. So, I'm thinking I need a updated browser, at the very least.

Thank You very much for your help!

Sorry this didn't help.

Looks like I really only need to upgrade my browser, if possible. No idea what my version is but, have reason to believe it needs to be upgraded.

This will help:

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, now I know I have IE8. Now what? Could it be that I have a really old monitor, that has very limited pixel settings? Have also received message that "virtual memory low" Windows was increasing. Don't know if that really was done or not.

Sorry this didn't help.

When I'm on yahoo, I get the option to upgrade to IE8. Also, that browser is recommended on fantasy football sites.

(Are you sure it is IE8 and not IE9 that Yahoo Sports is suggesting?)

These days, many people are using Windows Vista or Windows 7 (or will be using Windows 8). Those operating systems support IE9. However, with Windows XP, IE8 is the highest version you may use.

Sites like Yahoo Sports often suggest their users upgrade to IE9. Maybe that is what's happening...

At any rate, ignore those offers. :-)

And once you get your OTHER issues squared away, you might be interested in downloading/installing Chrome, which I believe is a superior (and faster) browser.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, now I know I have IE8. Now what? Could it be that I have a really old monitor, that has very limited pixel settings? Have also received message that "virtual memory low" Windows was increasing. Don't know if that really was done or not.

Even if your monitor is old, I'm sure it's fine. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Of course, you could always tell us the make, model, and model number of your monitor so we know what you have.

The "virtual memory low" message tells us that the amount of your installed physical memory (i.e., RAM) is WAY too low and/or that your PC is simply running way too many programs (possibly including malware). I'd be happy to assist you in the troubleshooting, but I need to go right now.

However, Tech-Geek is quite good at this as well. If he returns to this forum before me, I'm sure he'll set you on the right track.

Sorry this didn't help.

Monitor is a MAG720v(2), Model# ?YE0711-03 (can'y read 1st letter/number), Manufactured 08/1999.

The new yahoo mail recommends that screen resolution be set at 1024x600 pixels, or better. I don't have that option in my settings. Only have option of 800x600, 1024x768, and some others? Could that be the problem? Did another muck draft on yahoo sports, after I cleaned up cookies etc, was able to do draft all the way to the end but, not everything fit into the screen.

On a side note, I have a HP pavilion, that I purchashed atleast 8-10 years ago.

Been taking some online classes. the videos freeze up for a short period of time, "sometimes" when taking class.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

You seem to be suffering from multiple issues each of which could be caused by an array of things. The only way to be sure we do the best we can to get you straightened out is to cover all bases.

Let's begin here.

Click HERE. Download Malwarebytes. Update Malwarebytes and perform a quick scan.  Choose to remove anything found. Post the results in your reply.

After the scan has completed and you have removed anything detected click Start > Run > Type or paste msinfo32 > Press Enter. System information will open. It may take some time to populate. Once the information populates click File > Save > Name it msinfo > Choose to save it to your desktop for convenience. Come back here open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents in your reply.

We'll go from there.

Microsoft Partner Network Member

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, after a 22 minute scan, nothing detected.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name GARY
System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 05
System Model P9855A-ABA 503w
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~1694 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD 6.00, 8/21/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.31
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name GARY\Owner
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 256.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 20.21 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.91 GB
Page File Space 626.92 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Guess I did this right? LOL. Like I said, I'm not computer smart at all. Don't know what's going on. Mock draft on yahoo does work, little delayed and not everything is fitting in the screen. nfl.com mock draft, freezes up just trying to load it?

Sorry this didn't help.

That is one OLD PC!!!!

You have a few bottlenecks:

1. Your processor is not too fast.

2. You have a VERY low amount of RAM in stalled (256 MB).

I'm not sure how much longer you wish to keep the PC. Perhaps you might want to add more RAM:

At least that will speed up things since you would need to rely on your pagefile so much. (This will also make those Virtual memory messages disappear.)

Of course, there might be many other things happening, too, which would need to be addressed.

Sorry this didn't help.