Error 1608: unable to create installDriver instance, return code -2147221021 when try to install Microsoft Flight Simulator 10.

Original Title: 1608: unable to create installDriver instance, return code -2147221021.

Got this error code when I tried to reinstall FSX, (MS flight sim 10). I have been having problems with the windows installer in the services section. It doesn't start all the time and I have to go in and start it. It is set to start automatically in the properties area. I have re-registered it a couple of times but this doesn't seem to do anything. I also can;t install teh "fix it for me tool". 

I also have a problem with the Install and remove programs window. It never populates the window with any of the programs or updates. I am Running win xp with service pack 3. INtel pentium D dual core, 3.2 Mhz with 4 GB of ram. OS is installed on a One TB drive.

I also have PC cleaner Pro installed. It does give most of the installed programs to add or remove, but I don't think the list is complete.

I seem to have expereinced most of these problems after installing SP 3.

I had a hard drive fail a few months ago and at that I installed the one TB HD and put the OS on it.

I retrieved the important files from the fried drive using puppy linux. That was a life saver.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Bob G.

Question Info

Last updated April 23, 2019 Views 27,003 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Bob,

Let’s follow these methods & check if the issue persists:

Method 1

You may run the “Fix it” tool from this link:

Diagnose and fix program installing and uninstalling problems automatically

Method 2

You may follow this link & check if the issue reoccurs:

Microsoft Games: InstallShield Error Messages

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910816

(Note: Ignore the error code and try the troubleshooting steps provided in the article).

Refer:
Support for PC games common problems

Hope the information helps.

49 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.