Windows Search Not Working on Windows XP

I am using XP Home SP3.  Recently I found that my Windows Search is not functioning.  I get a message on the bar saying it is not running and, to correct it, I should go to All Programs and click on Windows Search.  Doing that does not fix it.  I have run the Windows Fix It program for Windows Search.  It finds three errors which it could not fix

1.   Windows Search is crashing or failing.
  2.   Windows Search does not start and gives an error message.
  3.   Windows Search does not show any result.

The Windows Search icon in the task bar shows: "Waiting to receive indexing status... ".

When I go to the list of services running, it shows that Windows Search is set to automatic.  I click there to start it manually and it responds "Could not start the Windows Search service on Local Computer.  Error 1068.  The dependency service or group failed to start."  My Indexing Service was shown as Disabled.  I started it manually, but it made no difference to Windows Search.  Rebooting has made no difference.  I have no idea what change or installation may have triggered this.

The Windows Search Troubleshooter which could not fix the issue took me to this site.  Hopefully somebody here can assist.  Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated August 14, 2018 Views 17,651 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Buddyboy_4,

Have you made any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

Let’s follow these methods & check if the issue reoccurs:

Method 1

You may run System File Checker [SFC] scan on the computer which will replace the missing or corrupt files & check if the issue persists:

a. Type ‘cmd’ in Start, Run box. Right click on cmd in the Program list and then select the option Run as Administrator.

b. Type the following command, and then press ENTER on the keyboard:

sfc /scannow

For more information, refer to this link:

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

Method 2

If you receive the error after you upgrade to Windows XP or after you uninstall Norton SystemWorks 2003, you may follow this link & check if the issue reoccurs:

The Windows Search feature does not work correctly, you receive script errors in Internet Explorer, or some information is missing after you upgrade to Windows XP or after you uninstall Norton SystemWorks 2003 from a Windows XP-based computer

Method 3

a) You may create a new user account with administrative privilege and check if the issue persists:

How to create and configure user accounts in Windows XP

b) If you don’t have any issue in the new user account, access the link below and follow the steps to fix a corrupted user profile:

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP

Hope the information helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.