when i try to download a pdf file I get this error message saying microsoft visual C++ Runtime Library program files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe runtime has to close in a unusual manner

I get the above error message when I try to download a pdf file to my adobe reader, How do I correct this?

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 354 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Thanks, Rick. (nagpie1 and malatel: this thread is only for Ricky63. Please leave this thread and start your own threads.)

I see that you have Windows XP Home, at the Service Pack 3 level. That is good. :-)

Go to this page:

Click on the Custom button. Wait a little...

If you do in fact have all your post-SP3 security patches installed, then you will see this message:

High-priority updates

No high-priority updates for your computer are available. To select other updates, use the options to the left. 

Can you confirm?

Also, do NOT choose to install the Optional updates that are offered!They are rarely necessary and they often cause problems!

Also, you still need to let us know if you have the most recent version of the Adobe Reader or not. As I mentioned earlier, the current version is 10.1.3. If you run Adobe Reader and choose "About..." in the drop-down menu under Help, you will see what version you are running.

With that being said...

There have been lots of reports lately with people having all sorts of problems with Adobe Reader. My recommendation is for you to uninstall it, then run the removal tool from here:

Then install a superior (and less problematic) free PDF reader:

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
This is not good!

You need to know what you have!

SO, first off, provide us your System Information (the following courtesy of JoseIbarra):

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.

It should look something like this:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name {you may remove this info if you wish}
System Manufacturer .
System Model .
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~3064 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 1/10/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name {you may remove this info if you wish}
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.25 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.85 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Regarding Adobe Reader, when you run it, click on About Adobe Reader, to get the actual version number.

If you visit the "Get Adobe Reader" site, you will see the current version is 10.1.3.

Finally, you STILL need to tell us the malware status of your PC! Does it have (or has it had) any malicious software infections? What antivirus programs (and other anti-malware programs) are you running? What versions? Do you have the most recent definitions for both?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.