Shared folder permission issue

Original Title - Shared Folder Issue

I have folders wich I have shared with other PC on my home network. After having shared the folder, all files are accessible, but if some file have been added later, I would have to unshare and reshare the folder to gain access. I get an pop up message informing that I need permission to open file, which before the above procedure, it will consider not granted. Is this the way it works with all shared folder in windows XP home basic edition, or am I missing something here?

Question Info

Last updated June 8, 2018 Views 1,619 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Michael in London,

You may refer to the below provided links and change the permission provided to the shared folder appropriately. You may check if providing appropriate access to the shared folder for your user account lets you access the folder properly -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456988.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Meghmala – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Apparently there is a dependency on how the files are added.  In Windows XP Home, Simple File Sharing is always enabled.  Here is a quote fromKB304040 which describes the conditions under which access permissions are changed when files are moved:

------
A file's permission may differ from the parent folder if one of the following conditions is true:

• You use the move command at a command prompt to move a file into the folder from a folder on the same drive that has different permissions.
  • You use a script to move the file into the folder from a folder on the same drive that has different permissions.
  • You run Cacls.exe at a command prompt or a script to change file permissions.
  • Files existed on the hard disk before you installed Windows XP.
  • You changed a file's permissions while Simple File Sharing was turned off on Windows XP Professional.

Note NTFS permissions are not maintained on file move operations when you use Windows Explorer with Simple File Sharing turned on.
------

This would imply that if Windows Explorer is used to move the files to the folder, the permissions should change to that of the containing folder but if moved there using the command line move command, the access rights would not change from the original rights.

"How to use the Simple File Sharing feature to share files in Windows XP"
  < http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040 >

HTH,
  JW

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.