Server Error: 501, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

I try to send an email to the following address *** Email address is removed for privacy *** I get this message. The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider. The rejected e-mail address was'*** Email address is removed for privacy *** '. Subject 'Fw: anyone with kids, a must read!', Account: 'POP3.mail.wowway.com', Server: 'smtp.mail.wowway.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '501 5.5.2 RCPT TO syntax error', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 501, Error Number: 0x800CCC79. I get this message only on this address. everything I read says it is a smtp server error. My ISP says it's a Microsoft issue. Can you help.

I found the error. Windows Mail adds the name at the begining of the email address. It was a long string of characters hat my ISP didnot like.

Question Info

Last updated August 19, 2019 Views 7,297 Applies to:

The error message mentions Windows Mail. Is that what you are running in Vista? This is an XP Files forum.

Vista Networking, Email and Getting Online
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistanetworking/threads

Bruce Hagen ~ MS-MVP [Mail]
===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====
☞ Avoid a post. Backup your data. ☜

Bruce Hagen
MVP: 2004 ~ 2010
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'blank.com'. Subject this i will leave ', Account: 'blank', Server: 'smtp-server.twcny.rr.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '501 5.5.2 RCPT TO syntax error', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 501, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

I have this same problem and i am running Windows XP same situation/ problem  just different operating systems.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.