Question

Q: error 126: the specified module could not be found, windows xp pro help and support does not load

I continue to get the following error message when I try to start the help and support service in the  control Panel    

(error 126: the specified module could not be found,).  

It seems that the file is not there anymore.  Please advise how to replace this file.  CAN I DOWNLOAD IT FROM MICROSOFT'S WEBSITE??????????????

Answer

A:

Hi,

·         Is the issue restricted to the Help and Support Service?

Check to see if the following helps.

Method 1: Verify that the Help and Support Service is running.

a.        Click Start, click Run and type "services.msc" (without quotes). Press Enter.

b.       Double-click “Help and Support “in the Services list.

c.        On the General tab, next to Startup type, make sure that Automatic is selected.

d.       I f the service is not already running, under Service status, click Start, and then click OK. 

Method 2: Run a system file (SFC) scan to check if there are any system file corruptions.

a.             Click Start, All programs and then Accessories. Click Command Prompt.

b.            In the Command Prompt window type “sfc /scannow” (without quotes) and then press Enter.

c.             After the scan has completed, close the command prompt window, restart the computer and check for the issue.

For additional information, you may refer the following article:

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 7,515 Last updated: June 30, 2018 Applies to: