ehtray.exe

There is an entry in the system events log from Windows File Protection, ID: 64005 reporting:

The protected system file ehtray.exe was not restored to its original, valid version because the Windows File Protection restoration process was cancelled by user interaction, user name is Sharie. The file version of the bad file is 5.1.2715.2765.

At least once a day, sometimes twice I receive an error message that windows must restore original version of files to maintain stability.  The reinstallation disc I have is not being accepted when asked for a cd.  I have ehtray exe. in  windows system 32, windows system 32 cache, windows ehome, and program files windows media player.  Is it harmful to ignore the message as nothing wrong is happening, checking occasionally to make sure its always the same file?.. Could the file itself be damaged.  Could I get a replacement file if so?

Question Info

Last updated January 21, 2020 Views 8,186 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hi SharieBarker,

ehtray.exe is a tray bar process for the Microsoft media center. It gives you easy access to the digital media manager. This is a user dependent process you can disable it .

To disable it from start up entry, type MSCONFIG in start menu search bar, hit enter, go to startup tab, uncheck the media center process, click ok, restart when prompted.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the “me too” link. If it solves the issue, click “Mark as Answer.” 
Thanks,
Paul

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.