Date Created and Date Modified are changed to current date on email file attachments. How can I change this?

I want to retain the original date the file was created or modified! OR is this just the way it is? I have tried this on two computers running windows XP Pro SP2 and one computer running Windows 7.

Question Info

Last updated November 7, 2019 Views 8,526 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
File dates are not sent along with the files when files are sent as email attachments.  If you want to keep the original creation/modify dates, then consider using a "zip" program such as "pkzip" or "7-zip" to archive/compress the file to a .zip file then email that .zip file.  When the .zip file is received in an email, the original files and dates can be extracted from the .zip file.

HTH,
  JW

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Since you are downloading the attachment file on the system from an email, it means that the file is created on the system on the day you downloaded the file (as it never existed on the system before). So, the date created will by default be that date when the file was downloaded on the system. This is by design, you cannot change it.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.