Windows XP Professional - Desktop Folders Disappeared, Shortcuts and Other Icons Are Still There

Hello!

I am working on a laptop with Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3. Yesterday all of my folders on my desktop disappeared. The shortcuts that I have for programs and shortcuts to other folders, as well as the other standard Desktop icons (Recycle Bin, My Documents, My Computer) still remain. I checked the Recycle Bin and all of the shortcuts for the other folders to see if I had somehow accidentally dragged and dropped my desktop folders into any of them. I did not find my missing Desktop folders in any of these places.

I also ran a Windows Search for one of the folders using the folder name, and the search came up blank. I also did a Windows Search for some of the files that were in the missing folders and the search came up blank.

How and why did my desktop folders disappear? What can I do to retrieve them?

Any guidance, help, or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you for your help!!

Digi P.

|

Hello!

I am working on a laptop with Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3. Yesterday all of my folders on my desktop disappeared. The shortcuts that I have for programs and shortcuts to other folders, as well as the other standard Desktop icons (Recycle Bin, My Documents, My Computer) still remain. I checked the Recycle Bin and all of the shortcuts for the other folders to see if I had somehow accidentally dragged and dropped my desktop folders into any of them. I did not find my missing Desktop folders in any of these places.

I also ran a Windows Search for one of the folders using the folder name, and the search came up blank. I also did a Windows Search for some of the files that were in the missing folders and the search came up blank.

Digi P.

Please perform following steps to find your folders.

1. Open My computer.

2. Please double click on C: (System Partition).

3. Double click on Documents and Settings.

4. Double click on your User Name.

5. Double click on Desktop option to see your folders.

If you face any problem, please reply.

K M JHA Technical Support Executive (INDIA)
K M JHA

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello!

Digi P.

Digi.P

You may also try showing all hidden files and folders. Follow these steps to do that:

1. Open Windows Explorer (Windows Key + E).
2. Click on Tools menu.
3. Click on Folder Options...
4. Click on the View Tab.
5. Select the radio button corresponding to "Show Hidden files and folders".
6. Click Apply button.
7. Click OK.
8. Close everything.
9. Go back to your Desktop and check if you could see the folders that you've been looking for.

I hope this helps.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for both replies, I indeed tried both of them upon noticing they were gone. I am unable to find my folders when I go through the Documents & Settings route, and also am not able to find them by making sure that "Show Hidden Files & Folders" is selected. :(

An update: I had more icons, this time a shortcut to another folder as well as my standard Microsoft Outlook desktop icon, disappear this time from the desktop. It seems to be ones that I actively use for at least 30 minutes a day.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Digi.P,

How many user accounts do you have?

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 29, 2021 Views 3,893 Applies to: