Question

Q: Ordinal 423 could not be located in the dynamic link library urlmon.dll

After downloading Internet Explorer 8 and restarting computer, i get the error message the ordinal 423 could not be located in the dynamic link library urlmon.dll. I have nothing, no start menu, icons anything. even when starting in safe mode. Please help me fix  this problem

Thanks

Answer

A:

use the system file checker  that comes with xp to restore system files that are corrupted or replaced with copies that are not in-house, i.e. written by an outside source. It is located in the system32 directory. at the start menu, type without the quotation marks "system32\sfc.exe' NOTE, YOU MAY NEED ACCESS TO THE SYSTEM FILES DIRECTORY ON AN INSTALL MEDIA.

I was able to do CTRL ALT DEL and get the task manager up, from there I was able to start a command prompt (File - New Task - cmd <press enter>) and from the command prompt ran

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

.. and while it came back successful, it still didn't work and continued with the ordinal error.

Next tried running

\windows\system32\sfc /scannow

And on the screen shown the version checker.  It ran for 10 minutes without showing any activity or progress indicator, then suddenly the progress bar shot to about 2/3rds done.  Once completed I still had no Explorer.exe desktop, but tried a reboot anyway, and still no explorer.exe ... and still the ordinal error.

attempted to run the "System Restore.lnk" from the documents & settings \ all users \ start menu \ all programs \ accessories \ System Tools\ folder.  But this only caused the same ordinal error, and with a second attempt at the command, gave me a blank white windowed box (right size for system restore but nothing in the box).

At this point I decided to try and uninstall IE8 so that it could be re-attempted .. searching the internet on my laptop ... I found that the uninstaller wasn't under program files\internet explorer ... but instead the uninstaller is at

%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe 

... %windir% is usually c:\windows unless you have a "unique" installation (and if you do, my aren't you just special)  :)

Finished un-installing IE8 and the system rebooted back to normal, no errors, and the desktop came back as normal.

Downloaded the IT installer version of IE8 and ran through its installation process, rebooted the system, and this time it came up correctly.

So .. advice is.. skip straight to the "spuninst.exe" ....reboot, then redownload IE8 (the "I.T." or Offline installer version is about 16 megs) and re-install IE8 ... that will hopefully have you all up and running again.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

Answer

A:

use the system file checker  that comes with xp to restore system files that are corrupted or replaced with copies that are not in-house, i.e. written by an outside source. It is located in the system32 directory. at the start menu, type without the quotation marks "system32\sfc.exe' NOTE, YOU MAY NEED ACCESS TO THE SYSTEM FILES DIRECTORY ON AN INSTALL MEDIA.
There are no wrong questions...The easiest thing in the world to get is a wrong answer!!!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 14,636 Last updated: May 7, 2018 Applies to: