My windows XP start up noise doesn't play, how do I fix that?

Years back when we first got our Windows XP Home Edition desktop, I played around with the sounds and played with the settings for the sounds (like the windows start up noise and the windows shut down noise), and now I really really regret it. I can't remember what I did, but I did some weird complicated things, and now whenever I log onto my account, I don't hear the start-up noise. :( I HAVE TRIED going back to the control panel, sounds and audio devices menu and have tried to change it back to the Windows default setting, but IT WON'T WORK!! I've tried like 1000 times but it still does not go back to the nostalgic windows start-up settings. Is there any way, possibly something to do with the registry (I think I accidentally played around with that) to restore my settings so that I can hear the windows start-up noise again? I will be forever grateful to anyone that can help me. 

Question Info

Last updated January 4, 2019 Views 1,241 Applies to:
Answer
I would think your user profile account may be corrupt. See if you create a new user if the default sounds work for that user.

If so, then you would need to copy your profile information to the new account.

Look at the following KB article to help copy profile.
Article ID: 811151 - How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP
http://support.Microsoft.com/kb/81151

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.