Keyboard shortcut to move a window between two monitors instead of drag and drop.

I want a quick way to move a window from one monitor to the other in a dual monitor setup without having to drag the window with the mouse. This is especially useful for full-screen windows since to move them I have to take them out of full screen, grab them with the mouse, and drag them over to the other monitor. Ideally, I want something I can do with a keyboard shortcut.

I'm not sure if this exists, I couldn't find it in a list of keyboard shortcuts. I think it would be an improvement for anyone using multiple monitors that has a good reason to need to flip between multiple programs. Since windows looks at multiple monitors and identifies each in the personalize settings as 1/2/3/etc it would make the most sense to me to have an up and a down. So if I have a window on monitor 2, I can hit a keyboard shortcut to move it to the same spot on monitor 1 (down), or monitor 3 (up).

Maybe this exists in some form and I can't find it, but if not I think it would be pretty useful, especially for someone doing programming or graphic design work.

(Also I filled out the form for this question as windows 7, which is what I use at home, but it put it under the XP forum since that's what the computer I'm posting from is running on.)

Question Info

Last updated February 24, 2020 Views 188,468 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Use the following key combination to switch programs between screens.

"Windows Key + SHIFT + Arrow Key"

Detailed instructions:
 Press and hold the Windows Key then add and hold the SHIFT key. While keeping those two pressed hit the left or right arrow key to move the current active window left or right.

1145 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.