in windows xp:shirtcut keys are missing and link files are missing .how can I fix this?

I am using windowx xp home and after uninstalling a program ,suddenly atleaste half of my desktop Icons(shortcuts) are displayed with a generic Icon and are missing the shortcut key. when I try to open a program an error message comes up saying ,Windows cannot open this file. file type :link.I get the same generic display  for the programs affected by this problem nomatter where I try to open them.I can however open them if I open the" programs "folder in local C:.I can then click on any program there and open it using the actual exe.

|
Answer
Answer

Hi,

·         Which program did you uninstall from the system?

If you are able to access the programs from the main program icon that is present on the system then, I would suggest you to create a new shortcut icon and then send the shortcut to the desktop and check.

a.        Locate the program on the system and then right click on the .exe icon.

b.       Click on send to and the click on Desktop (Shortcut).

Apart from that, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

Method 1:

It might be that the icon Cache is corrupted. I would suggest you to rebuilt the icon cache and check whether the issue is resolved.

a.        Close and save anything that you are working on. This command will kill explorer and restart the computer when completed.

b.       Open the Start Menu and type cmd in the search box and press enter.

c.        In the command prompt, Copy and Paste each command line below and press enter after each command.

taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F

CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local

DEL IconCache.db /a

shutdown /r

d.       The IconCache.db file has now been rebuilt.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to check whether the issue persists in new user account. Follow the steps mentioned in the article given below.

How to create and configure user accounts in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

Method 3:

I would suggest you to do a system restore to the previous point when the system was working fine and check whether the issue is resolved.

How to restore Windows XP to a previous state

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 7, 2021 Views 92 Applies to: