How to increase minimum drag distance

Is there any way for an end-user to increase the minimum distance or time that one has to move the cursor in order for it to be taken as a move? I am constantly getting drags or moves registered when I want it to register the cursor as being still. (I'll note that I use a tablet-and-pen setup, which is more difficult to keep steady as one clicks, but I imagine some people would have trouble holding a mouse steady.)

Things that happen, particularly in Windows Explorer:

- Getting the drag context menu (Move, Copy) when I right-click when I'm trying to get the stationary context menu (Open, Edit, New, etc.)

- Copying all selected folders when I'm actually trying to select non-contiguous folders. (Ctrl-click)

- Moving a folder into another folder when I'm trying to select the first folder.

I don't wish to disable drag-and-drop altogether, as I use it all the time. It's just that I virtually never want to drag something 1 to 5 pixels, and I want Windows to detect my deliberateness.
Answer
Answer
Assuming that you're using XP, TweakUI should do what you want.  Get it here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-xp

You can specify how far (in pixels) the mouse must move with the button held down before the system decides that you are dragging the object.  The default appears to be 4 pixels, and you can increase it up to at least 32.

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 12, 2020 Views 1,366 Applies to: