How do you make windows XP SP3 display Chinese characters correctly in programs?

I am running Windows XP SP3 and I need the Chinese language to display on a program. (in Win 2000 it displays fine) I installed the East Asian language packs and now the Chinese buttons display gibberish. Is there a better/working install for the Chinese language? I went in the advanced section and made sure all I checked all the Chinese options it had but still the same thing...... I have followed the links to "Installing files for East Asian Languages without CD-ROM
http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/873146.htm" but this only gives me what I already have on the ORIGINAL XP SP3 CD. Is there a fix for this or is the default font for windows not compatible with the Chinese language?

Please help, And if you could not mark this as "answered" unless you actually answer my question.

Just in case U ignored my specs above:
Windows XP with SP3.
Already installed the files for East Asian Languages from CD and from Download.
Has default font on desktop.

Answer
Answer
ok.... I figured it out, You have to set your "format" in the Regional settings to the "Chinese (Simplified, PRC)" option for the installed language pack to work for Chinese characters. My programs now display the correct characters. I would imagine that selecting the right "Format" to use will help out with any other languages too.

FYI: I had to do this same thing to a Windows 7 machine that wasn't displaying the correct characters. I fixed it the same way :-)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 15, 2020 Views 2,872 Applies to: